South Windsor coverage area

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmanct18

Whats South Windsors Coverage area for Police and fire department freqs. and why can I get them here in Mansfield CT when iam 15 miles away.

Joe

bobmich52

Figure This One out.

I Live Near The Box mountain Repeaters, Can look Out My Back window & See Them.

Can Pick Up SW EMS Freq No Problem.

As For The FD & PD , NONE,NADA,ZILCH, ZIP Reception.

Are You Sure You are Getting South Winsor?

jmanct18

wehre is Box Mountain

Dear Bob,

Yes I do South wIndsor is on 857.7375 for police and 453.2375 for FIre and 462.325 for Ambulance-EMS and I can only get Ambulance and EMS. Not Police and Fire freq from Mansfield Ct.

Joe

cg

Premium Subscriber
(it is difficult to determine from the two threads what he is saying but I believe he is saying that he DOES get the ambulance and DOES NOT get the PD or FD.)

From your other posts it appears that you have a handheld scanner. There may be nothing that you can do. An outside antenna may help. At some point the signals just don't get to a certain point.

As for why the signal may have gotten there before and not now? It could be there are leaves on the trees now and not before. It could be there is some degradation in the SW equipment. It could be that they put out less power than before. It could be that there is an issue with your equipment. There is no way of telling for sure unless you can test and correct any potential problem.

chris

bobmich52

Interesting Observation.

Was Driving Around Hebron Today, Picked Up South Windsor EMS Clear As A Bell.

Nothing For PD/FD.

Does South Windsor Have All Of Their Antennas By The Cop Shop On Sand Hill Road Or Are They Split Up To Various Locations?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know

dittrimd

I believe that CMED has repeaters on Marcus's tower in Bolton on Box Mountain. That is a pretty great site and a pretty tall tower. Maybe SW uses a CMED Channel for their EMS and EMS disptach. Just a thought.

Mark

cg

Premium Subscriber
SWAC uses a business frequency.
All they have to do is to have more power or a higher antenna or both to be heard when the FD or PD aren't.

chris

andy404ns

We use several different repeater locations here in south windsor. The dispatcher can switch between them freely. When they switch to the orchard hill site, I lose almost all reception and I have an outdoor antenna less than a mile from the repeater! After a minute or two on that tower, officers start calling in and complaining which is always funny. Funny thing - I pick up fire and police crystal clear at home (which makes sense because I'm so close). However, SWAC comes in scratchy all of the time and not at all some of the time. SWAC is definitely using a different repeater which may not even be in south windsor as far as I can tell. My only guess is that they set up the tower (I use that term loosely since my reception suggests that the "tower" can't be more than 10 feet tall) somewhere close to hartford hospital and manchester memorial so the rig is never out of contact with dispatch. That may be why you guys can all pick up SWAC perfectly clear, but not here anything for PD and Fire. Just a guess, but it seems to make sense to me. Andy

jmanct18

hey andy

Hey Andy thanks for that info. So there is n oway to pick up Fire and Police freqs for South Windsor here in Mansfield?

also what freqs for Tn do you have so When I go to SW next i can hear all of tolland county from SW.

thanks

Joe

andy404ns

Joe, I wouldn't say definitely not on your receiving our PD and Fire where you live. I suppose if you spend enough money on an antenna and some high quality cable with a huge tower you might get something... I notice that PD significantly decreases when you go over the hill on 84 west toward hartford. However, I can pick up FD on my minitor in Rocky Hill so I would guess that FD is probably a better bet for you than PD.
I use 33.8000 for TN at home because, for whatever reason, I can't get 152.0075 to take on my scanner. I set the step to 7.5 but it still rounds to 152.0100. Oh well. 33.8000 comes in pretty well for me, but again, I'm speaking for a base antenna mounted in my attic. Andy

LedZeppelin

andy404ns said:
Joe, I wouldn't say definitely not on your receiving our PD and Fire where you live. I suppose if you spend enough money on an antenna and some high quality cable with a huge tower you might get something... I notice that PD significantly decreases when you go over the hill on 84 west toward hartford. However, I can pick up FD on my minitor in Rocky Hill so I would guess that FD is probably a better bet for you than PD.
I use 33.8000 for TN at home because, for whatever reason, I can't get 152.0075 to take on my scanner. I set the step to 7.5 but it still rounds to 152.0100. Oh well. 33.8000 comes in pretty well for me, but again, I'm speaking for a base antenna mounted in my attic. Andy

Noticed the same exact thing today on 84 West. As soon as I went under the 384 underpass, up the hill, and where 384 merges with 84, totally lost South Windsor PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.