Southern Nevada Scanner Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for the Southern Nevada Scanner Book at Radio World in Boulder City this morning, but I guess they must be out of them because I didn't see them anywhere. I am really interested in getting a copy but I guess I'll have to wait until they get some more in stock.

TOUGHLIFE

Southern NV Scanner Book & Radio World

It helps to ask when you walk into Radio World for that shop is often a difficult place to navigate and there are items all over the place and not always in good order. I was there today and there was a copy sitting on the bookshelf as you walk into the store. He always has copies behind the counter as well. If you live in the LV Valley, AES on Polaris near Tropicana usually has the book also, at least they had copies when I was in the store last week.

billybob123

scannerdude2000 I have purchaced my last 2 Southern nevada booklets at AES ham as Toughlife suggested, make sure you ask them if there is an update sheet as well. Their phone number is 702-647-3114 I go there on the regular basis and have always seen the booklet behind the counter on the left hand side. I have never been to Radioworld personally but I hear its a good place to find used equipment.

Billybob

tbnmaster

I bought mine at AES. When I was there they didn't have them out in the open. They kept every copy behind the desk. Like TL said, if you just ask, they probably have them (this goes for Radio World and AES).

Good luck and enjoy the book!

BJ_NORTON

tbnmaster said:
When I was there they didn't have them out in the open. They kept every copy behind the desk.
Sticky fingers. The first edition or two sat on the counter, then they were chained to the Heil mic. I guess that one was taken too. too bad people just can't respect others property!

ewink

I have to be honest, but when I think of things to shoplift, the Southern Nevada Scanner book doesn't come to mind...

But I guess you'd have to start somewhere!

TOUGHLIFE

Dropped in at Radio World in Boulder City while I was passing thru from a trip, once again and they had a large number, perhaps 16 copies of the book on hand. There was one copy on the bookshelf but you would have to look carefully to pick it out from everything else on the somewhat cluttered shelf. But if you don't see what you want it might be burried under under many other items, so always ask.

Some time ago the manager of AES mentioned that six copies of the book disappeared when they kept them on the front counter. Maybe some individuals "thought" that they were free?

Thanks Toughlife,
I guess I just assumed the books would be out in the open.
I'll make another trip to Radio World tomorrow to get a copy.
Thanks for the information!

BCFlash

If they aren't in the rack to the right of the doorway I'd just ask Dave for one. It is a cluttered, old style store but I love to browse and look at all the used equipment. He does carry new items as well.

TOUGHLIFE

Yes, he has new and used. A few days ago he had three of the BC 330s', a very fine handheld. On the shelves, after you blow away the dust you can find some old crystal scanners from the 70s'. Yes, it is a place of history as well. A great place to shop at and unlike AES you can bargain with "Trader Dave", his moniker.

TOUGHLIFE

So. NV Scanner Book 9-2006 Ed.

For the first time I have noticed this publication to be offered on E-Bay but the price is about the same as Radio World's in-store price and it's RW that is offering the item. The seller seems to have very good feedback. Interesting.

NORCAL

Southern Nevada Scanner book

I've purchased every update of this book and would recommend it to anyone. One constructive criticism I have regarding this publication is improving the map graphics. I think the author needs to re-construction the maps (beats maps, patrol area maps, etc.) because they are often illegible. In the copy I purchased at AES, I could not read any of the text on the first map that appears in the publication. I realize some of this due to the reproduction process. But if the original is not very clear, the copies won't be any better. I think an investment in generating new graphics for each map would make the publication more professional looking.

tbnmaster

NORCAL said:
I've purchased every update of this book and would recommend it to anyone. One constructive criticism I have regarding this publication is improving the map graphics. I think the author needs to re-construction the maps (beats maps, patrol area maps, etc.) because they are often illegible. In the copy I purchased at AES, I could not read any of the text on the first map that appears in the publication. I realize some of this due to the reproduction process. But if the original is not very clear, the copies won't be any better. I think an investment in generating new graphics for each map would make the publication more professional looking.

One other thing I have noticed is that with a lot of use, it comes apart quickly with the one and only staple holding the thing together. I wish they would put it together more like a "book".

TOUGHLIFE

So. NV Scanner Book

I take mine apart and place each sheet into a document protector which has three holes on the left side and then secure it into a small notebook. It works well. I suspect that the book is a low budget publication with not a very large market as compared to some other locations and this might explain why there is just one staple in the upper left hand corner.

The document protectors are inexpensive at Walmart. They also protect the pages from being ripped or otherwise damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.