Southern Nevada Scanner Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2wml

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that many replies regarding frequency info is directed to the Southern Nevada Scanner book. I am a big fan of the book, but what is this web site all about? It just seems to me that people are promoting the book and not supporting this website. (Radio Reference) I would not expect someone to purchase the book especially if they are just coming to town on holiday. I am not trying to tick anyone off, I just want to help the fellow listener.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
In my short tenure as a RR member I have read many postings and do like the idea of sharing information. But I will make a simple point that when comparing material posted on various web sites and comparing it with a localized printed publication I often find that the paper book is often more accurate especially if it is published often. Also, when I travel especially to Washington State I enjoy the WA & OR book put out by Scannerstuff as it is something that I can hold in my hand and use as a quick reference and feel that it is reasonably up to date. Over the years I have collected numerous books related to monitor radio listening including several of those related to the Nevada book you make mention to.
I come to NV several times a year and find it helpful and I do with other books for AZ and WA & OR. Again, I do think it is nice that people help out one another but I don't expect people to "spoonfeed" me or anyone else in terms of giving out most everything they know about monitoring in the Las Vegas area or any where else. I would not expect people to copy out of a book and post it on some web site either for a number of reasons. Lastly, searching the radio spectrum for frequencies, talkgoups, systems, and other elements is a lot of fun. But if I feel like buying a regionalized scanner book I will if I feel it will aid me in my hobby. I enjoy looking at my bookcase filled with radio related books and the Southern Nevada Frequency Guide takes up a small portion of it. If I wish to praise it or any other book I will and use it I do.

TOUGHLIFE

Many months ago I attempted to assist an Ohio resident who wanted to visit LV and asked for a file in the Win 96 format for his Pro-96. I sent it to him and he never even said thank you. That can be discouraging. I like the idea of steering a person in the right direction but don't see any point in "spoon feeding" the person as AZ MONITOR said in his or her comment. Just my thoughts.

tbnmaster

Not to mention that posting all of the info out of the Southern Nevada Scanner book would be a copyright violation.

Set aside an extra $15.00 and purchase the book, even if you're coming through on vacation. You won't be disappointed.

TOUGHLIFE

I have been told that the fifth Edition of the Book will be available in a few days. It has been almost seven months since it came out so I suspect the time is right. I'm looking forward to seeing what's in it and writing a review on it.

Last edited:

tbnmaster

TOUGHLIFE said:
I have been told that the fifth Edition of the Book will be available in a few days. It has been almost seven months since it came out so I suspect the time is right. I'm looking forward to seeing what's in it and writing a review on it.

Let me know when it's out. I'll have to run down to AES on my lunch break and pick it up.

billybob123

I cant wait for the new Southern Nevada Scanner Reference book to become avaliable, I find alot of talkgroup Id's that I cant find a reference for and maybe it will answers them.

Bilybob

Status
Not open for further replies.