Southern New England marine audio feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA1PL

Feed Provider
I've had a combined Southern RI and SE CT aviation & marine feed on broadcastify for a couple years. It never got many listeners, probably because the aviation traffic at the small airports it monitored were so busy. I started removing more and more of the aviation frequencies and it slowly started getting more listeners. Now it is totally dedicated to marine communications and has been re-named Southern RI and SE CT Marine. I live about 10-12 miles inland from the Southern RI coast so reception of vessels has been challenging, despite having a top notch antenna setup (a commercial grade VHF dipole array up about 35 feet). I've always used Bearcat scanners as the receiver. As a radio technician by trade, I wanted to improve it. I replaced the Bearcat 785XLT with an Icom IC-2100 VHF radio (a 2-meter VHF ham radio). I did some technical measurements and it had a 10 dB improvement in the effective receive sensitivity over the Bearcat, which is substantial. Now it's hearing most vessels in the Southern RI and southeast CT areas. I've heard big commercial vessels as far east as Cape Cod and as far west as New Haven CT. I'm picking up USCG Sectors Southeast New England and Long Island Sound very well, and occasionally hear USCG Sector New York and Sector Delaware Bay. The feed now consistently has between 2 and 8 active listeners. There's even people listening during the overnight hours. I hope to spread the word and let people know that its there for your enjoyment (and mine). If you're in the Southern New England area, feel free to give a listen as save it as one of your favorites. Thanks. Pete Harrison, AA1PL

a417

That's not surprising, the hottest scanner front end I ever had was a ..... 785XLT and I keep that thing kicking for that fact alone. It was a GREAT scanner front end, but then if I were to put the same antenna feed into a well tuned MCS2000 UHF, i would get DOZENS to HUNDREDS of additional miles in distance. Scanners are decent at being broadbanded, some are even good, but once you get into a purpose built RX front end, the numbers speak for them self.

congrats on the feed activity!

jvaillancourt

Premium Subscriber
I've had a combined Southern RI and SE CT aviation & marine feed on broadcastify for a couple years. It never got many listeners, probably because the aviation traffic at the small airports it monitored were so busy. I started removing more and more of the aviation frequencies and it slowly started getting more listeners. Now it is totally dedicated to marine communications and has been re-named Southern RI and SE CT Marine. I live about 10-12 miles inland from the Southern RI coast so reception of vessels has been challenging, despite having a top notch antenna setup (a commercial grade VHF dipole array up about 35 feet). I've always used Bearcat scanners as the receiver. As a radio technician by trade, I wanted to improve it. I replaced the Bearcat 785XLT with an Icom IC-2100 VHF radio (a 2-meter VHF ham radio). I did some technical measurements and it had a 10 dB improvement in the effective receive sensitivity over the Bearcat, which is substantial. Now it's hearing most vessels in the Southern RI and southeast CT areas. I've heard big commercial vessels as far east as Cape Cod and as far west as New Haven CT. I'm picking up USCG Sectors Southeast New England and Long Island Sound very well, and occasionally hear USCG Sector New York and Sector Delaware Bay. The feed now consistently has between 2 and 8 active listeners. There's even people listening during the overnight hours. I hope to spread the word and let people know that its there for your enjoyment (and mine). If you're in the Southern New England area, feel free to give a listen as save it as one of your favorites. Thanks. Pete Harrison, AA1PL

Thanks for the info. I’ll try to find it and give it a listen. I live in FR,MA and can pick up some of the broadcast (ch 19 and 22) but always wanted to listen to what else was out there. You might want to also post this on the Scan NE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I provide 5 feeds on Broadcastify, one is Northern NJ and NY City Area Marine. It's located about 6 miles from the Hudson River, I'm using an Icom Marine radio on an old VHF police dispatch antenna thats from the 60's. It's about 80 feet up and about 150 above sea level. I have any where from 2 to 10 listeners. I get vessel traffic NY approach and harbor channels. It's a very active feed, especially during the day. Take a listen one day. Here's the direct link.

Status
Not open for further replies.