southern New Mexico frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go-West

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any idea who owns 168.950 Mhz? It sounds like some sort of law enforcement traffic with vehicular registration information being broadcast.

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber

Definitely in the Federal spectrum.
Could be White Sands Nat'l Monument, most Federal rangers (Nat'l Park Service, Forest Service)
like to run ID checks to see if people visiting have any warrants etc, this includes run vehicle registration, license plates.
In southern NM could be any number of agencies, BLM, BIA, Forest Service.
Good Luck.
73, Rex

ecps92

Any PL/DPL - might help to ID the user. :confused:

All [Pre-Narrowbanding] reports I had in the past was this was a RX only channel for CBP

Sounds like that may have changed

See if you get a numeric Base ID answering, maybe one of the old Call Books will help in the ID
once you get some more info

Does anyone have any idea who owns 168.950 Mhz? It sounds like some sort of law enforcement traffic with vehicular registration information being broadcast.

Go-West

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I was thinking that El Paso was pretty much all or nearly all encrypted. I was listening to El Paso County SO last night and they were quite busy with plenty of wrecks to respond to. They are much busier than Dona Ana county and LCPD.

SCPD

QRT
159.2175 is TX DPS 1 for El Paso. It can be heard all the way into Dona Ana, Otero, Lea and Eddy. The frequency mentioned is USBP. There is a few channels that are in clear at the highway checkpoints, sometimes encryption is used in Otero, Dona Ana, Luna. As far as I know most traffic in El Paso is clear and the SO is clear and all the towns outside El Paso are in clear but have the adp button option if needed with recent upgrades going on slowly.

Thanks. I was thinking that El Paso was pretty much all or nearly all encrypted. I was listening to El Paso County SO last night and they were quite busy with plenty of wrecks to respond to. They are much busier than Dona Ana county and LCPD.

SCPD

QRT
I believe I was using the USBP channels listed under El Paso Texas. Some not all had traffic that carried over into NM and two were for sure used for the check points on 54 south and highway 70, and the checkpoint on I-10 to Deming. I cannot recall which ones but they used 2 listed for sure thats listed under the El Paso USBP list in FM mode no P25 unless certain secure channels were used then they were p25 AES or DES. Every blue moon there was a secure AES transmission but most was clear on the two channels used in southern NM. If I can find my old list from long ago Ill post it here, if I can find it.

Also if your going along I-10 and mostly Highway 54 USBP will hop onto the railroad freqs and talk with the engineers to slow or stop trains. Highway 54 patrol routes get allot of the rookies and they utilize the trian tracks as training to inspect trains etc and its a very high drug/human smuggle route thus why USBP is very aggressive at this check point asking tons of very personal questions. But for it being a high traffic route allot of comms is clear and in open on that Highway 54 area frequency. I have seen allot of agents use cell phones in the area as there is full cell phone coverage in the desert along highway 54 in the county boonies.

I am not sure but I was told that the USBP big hot air or helium blimp that floats along US Highway 54 uses some sort of air frequency to communicate with HQ in North El Paso TX and to the Otero County USBP check point on Highway 54. I have no Idea what frequency they would use for air. It was just told to me they do use one.

Status
Not open for further replies.