Southgate, MI - Downriver Mutual Aid awards bid for new police and fire radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Hopefully my BCD396T will be able to pick up the new system. It's pretty much all I listen to on a daily basis.

The new Downriver Simulcast Project 25 TRS, will be a simulcast system. This means they will use Compatible Quadrature Phase-Shift Keying (CQPSK) modulation for their four tower sites. A lot of people have complained about poor audio quality on their BCD396T scanners from these systems. However, the Uniden BCD396XT handheld, with the latest firmware upgrades does a much better job decoding digital simulcast systems.

If you experience any problems receiving the new system on your scanner, you may want to experiment with different types of antennas. If that doesn't work, you'll want to upgrade to a newer scanner.

73s

Ron

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
One would have to question why they are going this route.. I would think the wise an more economical choice would be to joint the State System. Statewide coverage, many more options available to them.

jzq1vk

Downriver Mutual Aid

The new Downriver Simulcast Project 25 TRS, will be a simulcast system. This means they will use Compatible Quadrature Phase-Shift Keying (CQPSK) modulation for their four tower sites. A lot of people have complained about poor audio quality on their BCD396T scanners from these systems. However, the Uniden BCD396XT handheld, with the latest firmware upgrades does a much better job decoding digital simulcast systems.

If you experience any problems receiving the new system on your scanner, you may want to experiment with different types of antennas. If that doesn't work, you'll want to upgrade to a newer scanner.

73s

Ron

Thanks Thunderbolt. I'm using the RS 800MHz duckie, so I guess we'll see if that helps.

SCPD

QRT
Listening to Downriver

One would have to question why they are going this route.. I would think the wise an more economical choice would be to joint the State System. Statewide coverage, many more options available to them.

Well, I like it.
Like jzq1vk, I only listen to Downriver, and keep my PRO96 "open" in case a new talkgroup pops up. If they would of went to the state system, I'd have to either lock out every school bus, meter reader, and dog catcher in the state that was not Downriver, or run my scanner in closed mode.

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

The part that amazes me about this whole thing, is that when FOX 2 News reported that the state of Michigan had received millions of federal dollars for public safety radio interoperability, the Wayne County portion was going to overhaul the Downriver TRS. The plan was to upgrade the system to the MPSCS, and they even showed a large microwave dish on top of their radio tower (Cicotte/Grange Road?) pointed towards Northville so they could link into the network. Something must have happened to change their mind on going to the state system.

73s

Ron

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Time to move?

May be time to move this thread to the Michigan forum. You know we are gonna go a few pages with this one.

Cicotte and High Street in Ecorse? Or Sibley and Grange in Riverview? I think you got one street right from two of the four sites, Ron. :)

Thunderbolt

Cicotte and High Street in Ecorse? Or Sibley and Grange in Riverview? I think you got one street right from two of the four sites, Ron. :)

I was trying to remember which one of these two sites is the "Prime Site" where the main controller is. It apparently has a nice large microwave dish at the top. Nonetheless, this is going to change things for the MPSCS in Wayne County.

73s

Ron

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I would have to agree with this. They are going P25, so the money is already being expended for the radios, so it seems like a slight cost difference to tie into MPSCS. (For that matter, it might be cheaper, as they might be able to eliminate a tower site, or two, without coverage loss.)

Status
Not open for further replies.