SouthMetro tower 28??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

Here it is, Thanks to Bob for the re size! Also it's just plane ladder, sorry it just looked odd with all that space behind the rear tires to me. Thanks again Bob! BTW I stll have the full size image if this for anyone who wants it.

Attachments

• FireSMLA.jpg
    FireSMLA.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Not a problem...
Center mount ladders aren't as common as mid mounts, and they do look a bit different. Nice looking piece, though!

cstockmyer

So is that hose you see in the middle of the black panel to get water to the bucket then?

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
cstockmyer said:
So is that hose you see in the middle of the black panel to get water to the bucket then?

Kind of hard to tell from this side, but this truck may have a pump. The hose just to the upper left of the black panel appears to be two 1 3/4" crosslays, and I see a 5" and at least two 2 1/2" intakes on the panel. The 1 3/4" hose may be preconnected to a pump, or they may be just set up as a high rise pack to carry up the ladder and then hook into a highrise standpipe system. If there is a pump on this truck, then it would be on the other side, so I'm not sure. The intakes would be present regardless, since this truck has a piped waterway on the ladder. BTW, I do see on the turntable that it's a 100 footer.

cstockmyer

Wow interesting..so is this an oddity in the Denver metro area? Or does other departments have them also? I know you said in your email to me they are not really good for metro areas with all that behind the wheels, so I thought I'd ask.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Most of the aerials used in the country are rear mount. I didn't mean to imply that the center mount was bad for the metro area, I was just pointing out the pros/cons of one vs the other. Center mount has a lower height, but more hanging out the back. Rear mount trucks have a higher profile, but not so much hanging out the front. Tactically there are pros and cons to both. It's all user preference.

cstockmyer said:
Wow interesting..so is this an oddity in the Denver metro area? Or does other departments have them also? I know you said in your email to me they are not really good for metro areas with all that behind the wheels, so I thought I'd ask.

cstockmyer

firescannerbob said:
Most of the aerials used in the country are rear mount. I didn't mean to imply that the center mount was bad for the metro area, I was just pointing out the pros/cons of one vs the other. Center mount has a lower height, but more hanging out the back. Rear mount trucks have a higher profile, but not so much hanging out the front. Tactically there are pros and cons to both. It's all user preference.

Understood..Thanks again Bob!

fairrpe86

I have also heard pro's and cons about the different mounts on the truck. SOmething about 32's new one that I heard that I liked as well, is that all the compartments are a lot lower. For a guy who is about 5'9 or so, all the compartments are about chin height or lower. Makes it really nice for the smaller guys to be able to get stuff out of compartments and off the lays.

KB9LMJ

firescannerbob said:
I'm hearing great stuff about Rosenbaur, but haven't had a chance to drive one.

Don't EVER make that mistake! My experience with a 2002 Rosenbauder quint is absolutely terrible! We had to put 2 transmissions in it, it's falling apart all over inside and out, and it's engineering was terrible. Brakes are too small for the GVW, multiplexed electronics have very poor reliability, the outriggers lift off the ground when the ladder's extended (and Rosenbaur says that "Normal"???????) and the engine compartment was designed so poorly that the alternator had to be moved because it rubbed the inside of the dog house when you made right corners. Oh, and one time when lowering the cab after a routine check, the cab sheered off a power steering line because of where the pump was placed. Maybe in Austria, where they were designed, they work well (and they do, I've been over there). But Rosenbauer America SUCKS!

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
MrSpeakEZJr said:
Don't EVER make that mistake! My experience with a 2002 Rosenbauder quint is absolutely terrible! We had to put 2 transmissions in it, it's falling apart all over inside and out, and it's engineering was terrible. Brakes are too small for the GVW, multiplexed electronics have very poor reliability, the outriggers lift off the ground when the ladder's extended (and Rosenbaur says that "Normal"???????) and the engine compartment was designed so poorly that the alternator had to be moved because it rubbed the inside of the dog house when you made right corners. Oh, and one time when lowering the cab after a routine check, the cab sheered off a power steering line because of where the pump was placed. Maybe in Austria, where they were designed, they work well (and they do, I've been over there). But Rosenbauer America SUCKS!

Wow....maybe I'm in good shape with Pierce! I know we'll never see another E-1 down here. True POS!

KB9LMJ

firescannerbob said:
Wow....maybe I'm in good shape with Pierce! I know we'll never see another E-1 down here. True POS!

Yes, E-One's are POSs. Our old Pierce has 170K on it and still runs strong. Now to be fair, it's on its 2nd transmission, but what do you expect for a city rig. :shrugs: A least it's a 1994 and still looks and runs like it's new. Now you want to talk Cadilacs...Seagrave! All the old Seagraves are still on their original drive trains and most have SO many miles they're in reserve, but run like the day is long. But you can't go wrong w/ a Pierce. It's just too bad everyone's gone to the electronic pressure governers.

Status
Not open for further replies.