Southwest Airlines - In flight medical emergency heard El Paso, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtbucky1

Heard in El Paso area, southwest airlines medical emergencies, in-flight, flight crew speaking directly to Southwest Airlines doctor. kinda active.
128.9000 AM.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
are they diverting to kelp?
i dont see anything on the board

(i suppose i could walk my ass out to the truck and listen)

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
oh, they're way past us, and their destination is PHX anyway.

also it took entirely too long to remember how to directly enter a frequency on the 536, so all i caught was the tail end of it.

emtbucky1

I need better antenna to hear the doctor side of the conversation...But the patient report heard perfectly. Ive had a scanner for almost 300 years now. How come I've never heard about this kinda frequency before. Love finding new odd ball stuff. :)

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
i actually wonder which transmitter the ground side was coming on. The plane was over columbus when i heard the traffic, both sides sounded clear to me. The plane side was perfect, the ground side had some noise on it but still clear enough to hear

marcp90

Premium Subscriber
Southwest uses a service called Stat-MD About a phone patch is created to their call center and a headset is plugged into jacks located throughout the cabin.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I need better antenna to hear the doctor side of the conversation...But the patient report heard perfectly. Ive had a scanner for almost 300 years now. How come I've never heard about this kinda frequency before. Love finding new odd ball stuff. :)
would that make your scanner the oldest known scanner if its 300 years old? LOL And would that make you a vampire?

Is 128.9 a local or regional or nationwide frequency?

Bhawk27

Premium Subscriber
I hear frequent traffic on our regional ARINC frequency. Anything from treating passengers’ severe motion sickness in-flight to dealing with mechanical issues. An interesting alternative to standard ATC channels, and worth programming into one’s radio.

mikew

Premium Subscriber
I was on Southwest flight 2305 on Wednesday night from Dallas to Las Vegas. We left at 6PM Dallas time and about 30 minutes into the flight I became so ill that I passed out, when I awoke I immediatly started vomiting, my wife is a nurse and was seated across the isle from me. She took my vitals and relayed them to the flight attendent who had a headset plugged into the overhead. A doctor recomended I lay down but the plane was completely full so they had me lay down on the floor in the front galley. The flight crew and the pilot kept checking on me, they were great. I layed on the floor until we were ready to land, then returned to my seat. When we landed in Vegas they had Paramedics ready to check me out. My vitals were normal so it was determined that I had food poisoning. There was another flight #257 that left Dallas at 5:15 PM that was headed for Phoenix, I am curious if you heard my emergency or there was another one. I tried to determine wich flight was WN1110 but could not remember tail number for my flight. Southwest treated me great, I am a frequent flyer with them. I vomited for over 3 hours but I feel fine today.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I tried to determine wich flight was WN1110 but could not remember tail number for my flight.

WN refers to Southwest (or SWA), not the tail number. So WN1110 is SWA1110. WN is the IATA code, whereas SWA is the ICAO code. The IATA codes aren't really used much in the real world, outside of the airlines themselves.

Glad you were taken care of appropriately. I am always shocked by how many doctors and medical professionals are on-board flights. There is hardly an airborne medical emergency where medical personnel are not on board, and when there aren't, the airlines will go through a service such as Medlink or such to receive real-time advice, either via phone, ARINC, or a company frequency if in range.

One of my favorites of all time was a male on board a flight having a severe heart attack en-route to Las Vegas. When we (ATC) asked if there were medical personnel on board, the captain responded, "20+." It turns out there were about 25 world-class cardiologists from Johns Hopkins University Medical Center enroute to Las Vegas for a cardiology convention. Sometimes it's just your lucky day and not your time to go. :)

Fast1eddie

128.9 is posted on a Arinac (spelling??) nationwide map I have somewhere. Displays all sectors with boundry lines listing sector freqs including128.9 and I think another. Gotta dig it up.

Have monitored some neat traffic. Should update my programming, summer is coming and with it, passenger's immature behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.