SP3 for Windows XP is Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
To update your particular XP system, just run Windows Update. However if you want the full SP3 that will all XP systems, you want to go to the link below and download the entire 316.4MB, and burn it to a CD-R so you'll have it available for upgrading long after Microsoft removes it from thier site.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&DisplayLang=en

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
FYI a service pack is the sum total of all the previous updates so if you are up to speed you already have SP3. You only need to install it if you have a recent installation of XP or you want to burn it and keep the disc with your XP installation disc in case you need to...
reinstall Windows.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
FYI a service pack is the sum total of all the previous updates so if you are up to speed you already have SP3. You only need to install it if you have a recent installation of XP or you want to burn it and keep the disc with your XP installation disc in case you need to...
reinstall Windows.
Often that is true, but not always. My wife's system was totally up to date. After installing SP3, I notices some changes, and apparent performance increases. Often they sneak in the last set of updates along with the SP, that were not available prior to it.

rabidjade

GreatLakes said:
Often that is true, but not always. My wife's system was totally up to date. After installing SP3, I notices some changes, and apparent performance increases. Often they sneak in the last set of updates along with the SP, that were not available prior to it.
I was going to say the same thing. Each SP added something that normal updates wouldn't get you.

JGP

I downloaded SP3 yesterday. It was a long download. Today, my computer is running the same as with SP2--no problems.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
JGP said:
I downloaded SP3 yesterday. It was a long download. Today, my computer is running the same as with SP2--no problems.
If you did the actual download vs Windows Update, it will be much larger. The download contains everything to support all the various PC's, and hardware drivers. Windows Update just downloads what your particular system requires. The complete download is good to have however.

So far no ill effects with the wife's computer. Everything is working great.

JGP

GreatLakes said:
If you did the actual download vs Windows Update, it will be much larger. The download contains everything to support all the various PC's, and hardware drivers. Windows Update just downloads what your particular system requires. The complete download is good to have however.

So far no ill effects with the wife's computer. Everything is working great.
I found the complete download in an e-mail from C-net and did the the download from there. It didn't change anything from SP2 as far as I can tell.

bobmich52

Have A Old 256mb HP Computer

Did The Download From The Update Site

Took About 1 hr To Download/Install SP 3 Off My Broadband Cable Set Up

Had To Disable My Norton/Pop Up Blockers To Do It Though

About 5% Memory It Took Up

Defragged It after & It Seems To Be A Little Faster For Such A Dinosaur Of A Comp

No Problems Or Lost Files On The Tranfer Etc

So Far, So Good

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
bobmich52 said:
Have A Old 256mb HP Computer

Did The Download From The Update Site

Took About 1 hr To Download/Install SP 3 Off My Broadband Cable Set Up

Had To Disable My Norton/Pop Up Blockers To Do It Though

About 5% Memory It Took Up

Defragged It after & It Seems To Be A Little Faster For Such A Dinosaur Of A Comp

No Problems Or Lost Files On The Tranfer Etc

So Far, So Good

256MB, that's incredible! With memory so cheap these days, if you were to upgrade that to 1GB, you'd see a world of difference in performance!

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
XP SP3 crashes AMD machines
9 May 2008 | 11:23 BST
By Stewart Meagher

Here we go loop de loo

THE LONG-AWAITED and much-delayed update to Windows XP, Service Pack 3, is giving owners of machines with AMD hardware headaches aplenty it seems.

The problems, which first arose just one day after the push, have been causing lots of noise on Microsoft support sites and angry user bogs.

One user reported, "I just installed Windows XP SP3 and after completing the processes and when the system reboots, the system cannot proceed to load the Windows. It just displays the flash screen of Windows then after it reboots again."
Angry users have also reported that, after the installation, it is not even possible to boot in safe mode, usually the last resort before setting up a repeated forehead/screen interface.

Jesper Johansson, a former program manager for security policy at Microsoft and a well respected bogger on such things has provided some pointers as to where the problem might lie.

According to Johansson, there appears to be two separate problems. One affects only AMD-equipped PCs sold by Hewlett-Packard. "The problem is that HP, apparently along with other OEMs, deploys the same image to Intel-based computers that they do to AMD-based computers," said Johansson.

"Because the image for both Intel and AMD is the same all have the intelppm.sys driver installed and running. That driver provides power management on Intel-based computers. On an AMD-based computer, amdk8.sys provides the same functionality. "
There's a whole bunch of other info and some useful fixes for those of you stuck in the dreaded loop of death over on Jesper's Bog.

D

DaveNF2G

IE7 Features Lost

I did the SP3 upgrade on my desktop yesterday.

Internet Explorer v7 no longer has tabbed browsing since the update, and various toolbars seem to have been eliminated.

There is a thread about this on one of the MS related bulletin boards and apparently the developers are aware of this. Dunno why they didn't notice it before pushing the update.

bobmich52

Great Lakes, You Are Very Correct, But This Little $799.00 WallFart Special Of Yrs Ago Still works Quite well.

I Still Have 47% Of The Memory Left After Taking Out Alot Of The Useless Craplets Etc That Are BURIED DEEP In The Programs

One Duz Not Run Heavy Programs Etc, It's More For Research/Entertainment/Newspapers Etc

The Fan On The Tower Is A Little Noisy On Occassion, But I Frag/Disc Clean/Scan disc Frequently To take Good Care Of My Senior Citizen HP Comp Tower

Hopefully, It will Last For Awhile Longer, Let The Prices Go down More, Since I Have My Eye On A 2 gb HP Slimline Tower That Has The Proper Video Cards Etc, So I Can Put A Few Games On It & Will Be Supported Memory/Visually Wise

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
bobmich52 said:
The Fan On The Tower Is A Little Noisy On Occassion, But I Frag/Disc Clean/Scan disc Frequently To take Good Care Of My Senior Citizen HP Comp Tower

Take a look at that noisy fan. If there is a Mylar label on the hub, carefully peel it up. If there is a little rubber plug in the center of the fan hub, take something like a toothpick and pop it out, being careful not to loose it. Put a small drop of lite oil on the bronze bushing and let it soak in for a few minutes. Put the rubber plug back, fold the label back down. You'll be good to go another few years!

D

DaveNF2G

Maybe DOJ needs to look at SP3?

Further testing on my computer reveals that anything connected with Yahoo! - toolbars, Yahoo! Messenger, etc. - has been removed or disabled.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
DaveNF2G said:
Further testing on my computer reveals that anything connected with Yahoo! - toolbars, Yahoo! Messenger, etc. - has been removed or disabled.
Then SP3's advanced security improvements are working. Anything to do with Yahoo is evil. Seriously, back when they teamed up with SBC, they took your soul! Have you ever read their privacy policy?

Not to mention the Gates'ter is mad because Yahoo turned down his bid and now they are at war.

Status
Not open for further replies.