• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SP50

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureemt14

Hello everyone,

First of all i'd like to thank those who have helped me so much in the past. Today I found a Motorola SP50 for .69 cents. I bought it w/ no info on it. I just used my frequency finder and found that it is programmed on 395.55 and 364.725. I have searched but couldn't find out what these frequencies are. I don't want to transmit on frequencies i'm not permitted to. Any help in identifying these frequencies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RodStrong

Not so sure they get into that frequency range. I don't think they can legally be used for much anymore, but maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong. At that price, it would be a cheap addition to your radio museum though.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Those freqs, not likely. Whatever you used to check with probably locked onto an image because you transmitted too close. Take the battery out and look for the model number. Then you can check the model number to the listed chart here:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/manuals/sp50-svc-man-6880903z24-a.pdf

That will give you the capabilities of your radio. You'll have to find a better way to see what the channels are.

They are programmable if you can find someone with the program base, a RIB, and the DOS RSS.

Won't narrow band, but would be great for GMRS (if UHF).

Pretty much a bullet-proof radio with the exception of the knobs and antenna. These can get whacked and break the components solder off of the circuit board. Easy fix though. And these things have the loudest audio out the speaker bar none.

69 cents? Smoking deal

futureemt14

Thanks for the help guys. I just don't know how to understand that chart. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Any other way to know if it is vhf or uhf?

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help guys. I just don't know how to understand that chart. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Any other way to know if it is vhf or uhf?

Get the model number off the radio and write it down.

Get the model number chart and then try to decipher your model number.

Then, if you really can't figure it out, post the model number here and we'll help.

(Note that I did not say we'd do it for you. We'll help you, but you need to learn about these things if you're you're going to participate in a hobby radio forum. Give it shot. Most model number charts are easy, especially Motorola.)

RadioGuy7268

Just a side note - I believe that just 10 or 15 % of the SP50's that exist were built as 12.5 Kc 'Narrowband' units. They were model specific - like a P94YQT00xxxx instead of a P94YQT20xxxx.

In short, you have to get the right model for narrowband. It's not a programmable feature.

A wideband UHF SP50 might still be somewhat useful for listening or for GMRS. They were decent enough radios back in the day, just not very rugged.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
If the number 20 appears in the model number, that SP50 is NOT narrowbandable.

That's the vat majority of them.

The model number begins with P93 for VHF and P94 for UHF. It's the third digit (the 3 or 4) that tells the tale. 3 = VHF, 4 = UHF. This holds true for many models of Motorola radios.

I never cared for the SP50. I consider it to be a very cheap radio. But there sure are a lot of them still
in service that have managed to survive this long. I think they were introduced around 20 years ago.

If it's in good shape and hasn't been beaten to death it'll run as long as you can find batteries for it.

Despite my not caring much for them, the fact is that they're good radios that have lasted a very long time.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
the shop I worked at in the late 1990s sold (and serviced) a ton of SP50s. They aren't the highest end radio, but surprisingly they are pretty decent for low end radios. They were certainly better by far than the "Tron" garbage they were intended to compete with "Ritron and Maxon" at the time.

They require MS-DOS based RSS to program. Batteries are cheap and widely available as are audio accessories.

I'd certainly pay .69 for one that worked. They can be made to go into the 2m and 440 ham bands by modding the RSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.