Space For Ten Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerWayne

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else and since I am a fan of Uniden, I thought I would post this here. When it comes to remembering 10 codes for my areas police department I have to admit that I only recall a few of them. When I'm carrying my scanner (396T) I don't want to have to put it down to get a notebook out to look up a 10 code.

Frustration.

However: With the advent of the new generation scanners a work-around solution presented itself to me the other day. I built a conventional system called "10-Codes" with, in my case, 97 channels. The channels start at 30Mhz and the step is 10Khz. I then labled each channel with the tag for the 10 code. Thus a 10-22 (or signal 22) was assigned to freq 30.220 and the alpha tag for that channel reads "Person w/Weapon". Ignore the 30MHZ part and locating a particular 10-code is fairly easy. Then switch screen modes on the scanner to read the channel label. As I said, it's a work around.

It would be nice if Uniden would add memory to the scanner just for things like this. Since we are using computers to manage our scanners managing this type of data would be easy.

Something to think about anyway...

Wayne

ampulman

ScannerWayne said:
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else and since I am a fan of Uniden, I thought I would post this here. When it comes to remembering 10 codes for my areas police department I have to admit that I only recall a few of them. When I'm carrying my scanner (396T) I don't want to have to put it down to get a notebook out to look up a 10 code.

Frustration.

However: With the advent of the new generation scanners a work-around solution presented itself to me the other day. I built a conventional system called "10-Codes" with, in my case, 97 channels. The channels start at 30Mhz and the step is 10Khz. I then labled each channel with the tag for the 10 code. Thus a 10-22 (or signal 22) was assigned to freq 30.220 and the alpha tag for that channel reads "Person w/Weapon". Ignore the 30MHZ part and locating a particular 10-code is fairly easy. Then switch screen modes on the scanner to read the channel label. As I said, it's a work around.

It would be nice if Uniden would add memory to the scanner just for things like this. Since we are using computers to manage our scanners managing this type of data would be easy.

Something to think about anyway...

Wayne

Interesting concept. In my case it might be more than a simple project.

First, there is my home township, which seems to share a common 'county' code. Then, one twp next door has their own unique system, which has 10-codes (10-4), numeric codes (Code 2), and alpha codes (code Mike). Gets a little confusing when they throw all three together (about 80 individual items). And of course, the state police with their unique code.

When I'm mobile, my 396 fits in a nice carry case. I have shrunk the code list down to 2 x 3" and encased in plastic and this slides into a pocket in the case.

Never the less, it's an interesting concept.

AM

Status
Not open for further replies.