Space Shuttle coming to NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

I was waiting for someone to post but I geuss I should! For those who don't know there space shuttle will be delivered to NYC next Tuesday. This shoul d be a great oppritunity for scanning. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where to start besidesm the usual air traffic control and police frequencies?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Well first, I would have the scanner going on Monday. As of 21 hours ago, space.com is saying the Enterprise will be flown to New York's John F. Kennedy (JFK) International Airport on Monday (April 23), weather permitting. Enterprise should arrive in New York around 11:30 a.m., according to the museum.

Plans call for the shuttle carrier to fly "near a variety of landmarks" in the New York region, including the Statue of Liberty before landing at Kennedy. The flyover near New York landmarks was cleared by the Federal Aviation Administration, said museum spokesman Luke Sacks.

After it arrives at Kennedy, the shuttle will be stored there until June, when it will be loaded onto a barge and floated into New York Harbor, according to the museum. From there, it will be pulled by a tug boat up the Hudson River to the Intrepid.

That should yield some good scanning also..

looseday.com story

Last edited:

JuanM

Premium Subscriber
Now scheduled to arrive at JFK on Wednesday morning, after doing the aforementioned flyovers.

maalox

any tgids that has a jfk next to it.. jfk approach freqs .

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
These are the talk groups for JFK that might have some useful info tomorrow . Also JFK has an LTR system and that will most likely have nothing of interest.

00-120 JFK Central Police Desk
00-121 JFK Patrol
00-123 JFK Tac 1
00-124 JFK Tac 2
00-125 JFK Tac 3
00-126 JFK Tac 4
00-127 JFK Area-Wide Tac

Some conventional freqs of possible interest
470.56250 100.0 PL JFK Ops 1 JFK Operations 1
453.65000 100.0 PL JFK Ops 2 JFK Operations 2
453.40000 110.9 PL Central PD Central Police Desk

Last edited:

ScannaMan9

Since-i'm-not-in-the-NY-area,-which-live-feeds-should-I-listen-to?

I-was-going-to-listen-to:-----(Live-feeds)---(copied-&-pasted)
FDNY Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island
FDNY Fire DARS
Hatzolah EMS - NY/NNJ Metro
NYPD Special Operations Division and Traffic

(MY-SPACEBAR-IS-BROKEN-I'M-LEAVING-TO-GET-A-NEW-KEYBOARD-NOW)

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

I hope nobody has their nose buried in their scanner display and misses the real opportunity of this event - to see the NASA 747 with Enterprise mounted on top!

The date changes are amusing to someone who follows regular aviation. Only NASA will spend a month doing preflight on an aircraft and attempt to file a flight plan a week in advance, then scrub the flight a day or more before departure because of weather forecasts.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Although I don't yet have specifics, those with ADS-B devices (Kinetic, Radarbox) should also monitor relevant airspace!

freqhopping

Although I don't yet have specifics, those with ADS-B devices (Kinetic, Radarbox) should also monitor relevant airspace!

They probably won't pick up the SCA, but maybe a T-38. When it brought Discovery to Dulles the SCA was not broadcasting mode-S, nor was it available for tracking on Flightaware.

Tune in 235.4 for comms between the SCA and T-38s.

scosgt

What tower frequencies would be used? Would they use the military freq?

freqhopping

They will use VHF for ATC. It will be on one of the TRACON approach freqs up until they switch to tower. When it came to Dulles it never used the final approach freq.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Almost time!!!

scosgt

I don't know what was on the air, because I was nearby taking pictures, but it did a flyby, not sure if it was a touch and go, but it disappeared over the airport (from our vantage point) and rose up again and went out and back and landed.

Status
Not open for further replies.