Space shuttle frequency 145.800

Status
Not open for further replies.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Why is there a squeal ? Or a paging on this frequency, cuz I've heard 2 different times today of a squeal page on this frequency, I've never heard anything before today...

Bhawk27

Premium Subscriber
Why is there a squeal ? Or a paging on this frequency, cuz I've heard 2 different times today of a squeal page on this frequency, I've never heard anything before today...

That's the space station's SSTV downlink frequency. You're hearing the audio signature of that slow scan TV signal coming from ISS. I've heard it on several close passes over the past two days.

ind224

Shuttle program is over. This is the ISS downlink freq for both voice and SSTV. If you get MMSSTV (a free program) and feed the audio from your receiver either via line in or just the actual speaker audio to your computer mic you can decode the picture. When it asks for a callsign just click ok. Audio level in the green.....there ya go.

laneends

Yes, as stated it's the ISS SSTV signal. You can turn that noise into pictures! I haven't been able to grab one yet, but many people are using computer software to decode or the robot36 app for phones.

Blaine

Premium Subscriber
That's slow scan TV from the ISS. Doesn't always transmit. For proof, the station passed directly overhead DFW last night (watched it from my window), and not a peep on 145.800. I've been using a program for my Android phone called Robot 36 to decode the signal. All you have to do is hold your phone up to the scanner speaker when you hear the signal, set it for sharpest image, fastest update rate, and PD 120 mode, and viola'....

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Doesn't always transmit. For proof, the station passed directly overhead DFW last night (watched it from my window), and not a peep on 145.800.
I don't know for sure, but perhaps their 145.800 is off air when their new crossband repeater is in use, with an uplink of 145.990?

Downlink for the repeater is 437.800 and it seems to be fairly active, having heard locals working through it the past few days.

N4DJC

The ISS APRS digipeater is turned on now, 10 watts. Good copy at lower passes. The crossband voice repeater was turned off as of Thursday. NA1SS is now a good alias. No indication of how long it will be on until it switches back to the crossband repeater.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Review this for an overall understanding, particularly the frequency and antenna sections. Then consider the frequencies used and scheduled events to get an idea of what may be working at a particular time, instead of simultaneously.
(Events are more than just radio, such as docking and EVA)

wd9ewk

The ISS APRS digipeater is turned on now, 10 watts. Good copy at lower passes. The crossband voice repeater was turned off as of Thursday. NA1SS is now a good alias. No indication of how long it will be on until it switches back to the crossband repeater.

Although you can use NA1SS in the packet path for the ISS digipeater, ARISS is the safer way to go. This ensures if the call sign in the radio changes (i.e., when the second new Kenwood radio is activated on the Russian side of the ISS, where it may use RS0ISS), you are still able to use the digipeater. And, yes, the 10W downlink from the digipeater makes for better and easier copy.

I have not seen any schedule outlining how long the digipeater will stay on. The cross-band voice repeater was active for about a month, so it is possible that the digipeater will also see a month's worth of activity. Until the second new radio is sent up to the ISS for the Russian side of the station, I think we'll see alternating periods of voice repeater and digipeater. The older TM-D710 currently used on the Russian side doesn't have the customized firmware that implements the cross-band voice repeater like we heard last month, or the digipeater currently in operation.

73!

Status
Not open for further replies.