• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Space Shuttle Scheduled for July 1st!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
and we have 3 or 4 NASA frequency sites - including Grove's - in our Mil Monitoring Wiki.

Let's hope for a safe and uneventful flight - the team is going to be VERY busy up there, from what I understand. 73s Mike

RISC777

CVPI4Ever,

Do you know how many every day products and items we have today would not have become available without a space program?

`Doug

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
No feeding of the troll... There is nothing to see here - keep moving.

nexus

RISC777 said:
CVPI4Ever,

Do you know how many every day products and items we have today would not have become available without a space program?

`Doug
I can't live without my microwave or tang :)

rdale

"I bet they will have to make repairs again in orbit."

They fix things every time on the shuttle, PC's lock up, they may need to add a few twists to a bolt, etc. Nothing exciting about that.

cschmit

ka3jjz said:
and we have 3 or 4 NASA frequency sites - including Grove's - in our Mil Monitoring Wiki.

Let's hope for a safe and uneventful flight - the team is going to be VERY busy up there, from what I understand. 73s Mike
Wish I lived in FL to hear these, bet they are fun to listen to!!

usnasa

can u hear this in ny i am most instrested in the liftoff do u have a freq for the liftoff that we can hear in ny thanks to all

N2MWE

Premium Subscriber
Anyone who thinks the space program is a waste of money either has never left their house, or is totally uneducated. What about mankind's urge to explore, the quest for knowledge? Take a good look at the sky some clear night; look at the beauty and the wonders of the night sky. Don't tell me you're not curious as to what's really out there. And please don't feed me the crap about feeding people on Earth, etc.

Space exploration quenches the thirst for knowledge. I find that more than worth its weight in gold!

I think the space program is a waste of tax dollars.
He does have somewhat of a point, in the 60's we spent several hundred thousand dollars to research and develop writing tools that worked in space and thus came the modern ball point pen. The russians used pencils costing about 20 cents each.

On the other hand I must agree with everyone else, the scientific value of the space program cannot be put into terms of money. Also it is good that tax dollars do fund it this way we can truly say the resulting discoveries are American achievements rather than of just some random company.

rdale

"He does have somewhat of a point, in the 60's we spent several hundred thousand dollars to research and develop writing tools that worked in space and thus came the modern ball point pen. The russians used pencils costing about 20 cents each."

Whenever you hear a story that makes you think "could that really be true?" -- it probably isn't. Go to http://snopes.com and enter a few phrases. Then you'd find out this is completely false.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

jimyleg

Nasa Is BORING!

AEMTKieran said:
Anyone who thinks the space program is a waste of money either has never left their house, or is totally uneducated. What about mankind's urge to explore, the quest for knowledge? Take a good look at the sky some clear night; look at the beauty and the wonders of the night sky. Don't tell me you're not curious as to what's really out there. And please don't feed me the crap about feeding people on Earth, etc.

Space exploration quenches the thirst for knowledge. I find that more than worth its weight in gold!

Nasa will never admit to finding life out there.. Think about that!
Do I like the nicely airbrushed images they have on there website? yes.
Do I wan't to be an astronout? yes.
Nasa being honest to the public? Never.

Check out David Serida
Part 1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5070476612863849446&q=David+sereda
Part 2
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8524267568796529301&q=David+sereda

You can find Martin stubbs "the secret nasa tranmissions" video on your downloading program.
http://www.netmar.com/~maat/archive/mar3/sereda.htm
Martin stubbs who moniterd nasa transmissions in vancouver canada for years. He has captured 3 phenomenon that appear in all light conditions over a number of years. These phenomenon are well known yet nasa has not told us of them when they had already concluded that they were living inteligence (john glenns fire flies).

Yet the russian government has released footage of ufo's from mig jets.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
S T S

I watched the last Space Shuttle landing as it flew over my house. I live in Encino (San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, CA) and it flew from the Southwest to the Northeast towards Edwards AFB, where it landed, early in the morning. I have seen it many times when I was a kid, both flying across The Valley where I live and a few close-up landings at Edwards. I remember hearing the sonic boom from the shuttle like five or six times a year. My father lives in Merritt Island, Florida (Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral area) - I have seen a launch there, as well.

I have always loved the Space Shuttle (STS) program. My father and grandfather worked on communications (TDRSS) and defense (DSP) satellites that went up in the Space Shuttles (including the one that blew up in the 80's).

I am always glad when a Space Shuttle is launched - it means progress in exploration. As for the comment that it is a waste of tax payers’ dollars, I suppose that the Christopher Columbus voyages (and other exploratory voyages) had their critics as well. If it is a waste of money to explore and discover (which includes the in between stuff - testing, establishment of colonies, losses, etc.), than I say "waste away."

I just wish that all along, NASA and the government had been developing and building newer designs of Space Transport Systems (new shuttle models), space stations, further moon exploration and a base there, and further development of long range Space Transportation Systems (for humans to reach Mars and other distant celestial bodies).

Today I just heard that China plans to walk on the moon within the next 15 years and is launching a lunar orbital satellite this year to begin the process.

I often ponder: should space exploration be a national program or an international program? I think sometimes that space exploration could be a uniting activity which brings nations together - a "human" endeavor. As much as I loathe/abhor/despise/detest the UN and its concept and precepts, I think they would do well to have a UNASA. Nevertheless, I am still proud of NASA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.