Spacing 4G antenna with VHF antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

baltimorecs

I am attending an event where there is an existing VHF HAM repeater on a tower (40 ft.) The tower is at the top of a ridge and is used to communicate from either side of the ridge. The tower owner has recommended that we try to put up our 4G antenna on the same tower to improve data service reception for tablets that are used at the base camp.

The issue is that I cannot find a way to calculate the vertical separation I would need (if any) for the 4G antenna. It is a fiberglass omnidirectional antenna like the Tram/Browning antennas but we normally use a standalone mast. The VHF antenna is the same. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

N5TWB

The rule of thumb for horizontal separation is 1/4 wave at the lowest frequency - in this case, that would be 19" for HORIZONTAL. In the case of vertical separation, as long as your 4G antenna is not in the VHF pattern, i.e. not in the same plane, whatever physically works that also serves your connection needs should be satisfactory.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Then install an antenna made for WiFi, not phones. There are antennas designed for improved access coverage.

A 4G antenna is going to be cut for different frequencies than are used for WiFi, and will not give predictable coverage.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.