Spark Snap noise from 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

Every so often now and again, i get this sparking snap out of the speaker of my 436HP has anyone else noticed this? Both Conventional and P25 system. Does it with Audio playing or without.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I don't get it much when monitoring the RWC in Phoenix, but I noticed all sorts of popping noises and such when monitoring the Phase II PCWIN system down in Tucson. Based on my many years of messing around with computers and pushing them to their limits (and then some) this seems indicative of an overtaxed CPU. I think Uniden might have underestimated how much horsepower these new units need to run all the neat bells and whistles they stuffed in 'em. Still a great radio, but it gets annoying at times with the popping sounds, esp on Phase II systems.

-AZ

SCPD

QRT
pops

Its the new decoder IC they are using in these units,because I had the same issues when I had the 536,only on phase 2 of course.Phase one is bassy though compared to a GRE or 996xt.

n4yek

Every so often now and again, i get this sparking snap out of the speaker of my 436HP has anyone else noticed this? Both Conventional and P25 system. Does it with Audio playing or without.

I don't have this scanner but I have a thought, is the battery saver function turned on? Maybe when it wakes up looking for activity, it might be causing this. Try turning it off and see if that helps.
Again, this is just a thought. :)

mrkelso

I don't have this scanner but I have a thought, is the battery saver function turned on? Maybe when it wakes up looking for activity, it might be causing this. Try turning it off and see if that helps.
Again, this is just a thought. :)

Thanks i just looked in there and it was off

JamesO

I had my 436HP out today specifically to listen to a Phase 2 system that is nearby but not something I can receive at home.

I had the popping type noise that is not a simulcast type of garbling, but appears to be something to do with the Phase 2 decoding as mentioned?

The Phase 2 audio sounded fine, just with the pops/clicks in the middle of the comms. Annoying but not enough to cause the comms to be unreadable.

Hopefully this is something that can be cleaned up with Firmware updates/changes?

This also assumes Uniden has the ability to actually monitor and test against a Phase 2 system so they can actually monitor and test against.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I had my 436HP out today specifically to listen to a Phase 2 system that is nearby but not something I can receive at home.

I had the popping type noise that is not a simulcast type of garbling, but appears to be something to do with the Phase 2 decoding as mentioned?

The Phase 2 audio sounded fine, just with the pops/clicks in the middle of the comms. Annoying but not enough to cause the comms to be unreadable.

Hopefully this is something that can be cleaned up with Firmware updates/changes?

This also assumes Uniden has the ability to actually monitor and test against a Phase 2 system so they can actually monitor and test against.

I wonder if the GRE PSR 800 has the "pop/clicking" noise when it decodes Phase 2?

brucewarming

Snap Crackle Pop

Is your weather alert priority on? I was setting here this morning and hearing interruptions and remembered I had the alert on from yesterday.

JamesO

Not a Weather Priority or a Close Call interruption. As I recall the snapping/popping was too fast to be a Priority issue, something with the way the scanner was decoding the Phase 2 TDMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.