SPD and Seattle Fire Dead Air

colonizemars

I have been trying to listen to Seattle Police and Seattle Fire for two days and I am not picking anything up with my BCD 436 HP. It was working fine last week. I am still picking up other departments in KCERS. I have updated my database but the problem continues. Does anyone know why this is?

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to listen to Seattle Police and Seattle Fire for two days and I am not picking anything up with my BCD 436 HP. It was working fine last week. I am still picking up other departments in KCERS. I have updated my database but the problem continues. Does anyone know why this is?
Try tweaking your squelch some. That’s what worked for me and my TRX-1is picking them up perfectly now.

louisik1

Feed Provider
Try tweaking your squelch some. That’s what worked for me and my TRX-1is picking them up perfectly now.
I take that to mean you're getting unencrypted dispatch? Do you have any information on control channels and talk group ids? Or are they the same, just digital? Sorry for any misunderstanding, I only know the basics. I'm specifically asking about Seattle Fire and Seattle Police. Thanks so much for any help!

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
I take that to mean you're getting unencrypted dispatch? Do you have any information on control channels and talk group ids? Or are they the same, just digital? Sorry for any misunderstanding, I only know the basics. I'm specifically asking about Seattle Fire and Seattle Police. Thanks so much for any help!
They’re Phase 2 digital. Take the old talkgroup and divide by 16. The Downtown Precinct’s dispatch channel, for instance, would be 3248/16 = 203.

Just don’t know if the 436/536 distinguishes between phase 1 and phase 2 talkgroups.

louisik1

Feed Provider
I understand it's changed to Phase 2. But are you using the same control channel frequency(s)? The control channel I'm getting some dispatch on is 854.2874 (which oddly shows up as Phase 1, but the dispatches show as Phase 2).
Are SPD and SFD encrypted on PSERN?
That's one of the things we're all trying to find out lol.

Tortue

I understand it's changed to Phase 2. But are you using the same control channel frequency(s)? The control channel I'm getting some dispatch on is 854.2874 (which oddly shows up as Phase 1, but the dispatches show as Phase 2).

That's one of the things we're all trying to find out lol.
NOT ENCRYPTED. Any more than before.
The PSERN sites/frequencies/ are not the same as the KCERN sites/frequencies.
Create a new PSERN system with the sites and frequencies available on RR.
If you have concerns about multi path distortion, use just one site, the closest site to you, and the red control channel(s) for that site.
I'm in N. Seattle, I'm using the King County West site.
Use ID Search to check that you have locked on to the site. There should be gobs of audio traffic.
Once you're sure you're getting traffic, you can wait until the RR database is updated, or add the TGID's yourself. Read this thread to figure out the new TGID alpha tags.
I've got SPD, SFD, Link Light Rail and Seattle Utilities up and running with ID Scan on a 325p2, 486hp and a Unication G5
Good luck y'all!!

Tortue

They’re Phase 2 digital. Take the old talkgroup and divide by 16. The Downtown Precinct’s dispatch channel, for instance, would be 3248/16 = 203.

Just don’t know if the 436/536 distinguishes between phase 1 and phase 2 talkgroups.
Not the same sites and frequencies gang. Check RR for PSERN sites/freqs

louisik1

Feed Provider
If you have concerns about multi path distortion, use just one site, the closest site to you, and the red control channel(s) for that site.
Use ID Search to check that you have locked on to the site. There should be gobs of audio traffic.
Once you're sure you're getting traffic, you can wait until the RR database is updated, or add the TGID's yourself. Read this thread to figure out the new TGID alpha tags.
I've got SPD, SFD, Link Light Rail and Seattle Utilities up and running with ID Scan on a 325p2, 486hp and a Unication G5
Good luck y'all!!
Thanks Tortue. I just put all the pieces together and got my broadcast up and running! Thanks everyone.

louisik1

Feed Provider
I'm just using a cheap RTL-2832 USB. The bandwidth is a little narrow for what I need. I think my next step will be figuring out how to use two of them together to try to cover it all.

You?

Tortue

I'm just using a cheap RTL-2832 USB. The bandwidth is a little narrow for what I need. I think my next step will be figuring out how to use two of them together to try to cover it all.

You?
Uniden 325p2, hp486, Unication G5

louisik1

Feed Provider
Cool. I ordered a Uniden BCD996P2 to see how that works out. But if this SDR thing works out I might not want/need it. Dunno yet.

code3kid

Good luck y'all!!
“King County West” is not a site, it’s a simulcast cell comprised of multiple sites transmitting on the same frequencies in phase. There is no way to “listen to the site closest to you” when you’re scanning a simulcast cell. Unless you hook your scanner up to a directional antenna (yagi) and literally point it at a site in the simulcast cell.

Tortue

“King County West” is not a site, it’s a simulcast cell comprised of multiple sites transmitting on the same frequencies in phase. There is no way to “listen to the site closest to you” when you’re scanning a simulcast cell. Unless you hook your scanner up to a directional antenna (yagi) and literally point it at a site in the simulcast cell.
You again?
Forward to 31:01....

Tortue

You again?
Forward to 31:01....
Further, I did, and do understand the concept of multicast "sites". One "site" can have several transmission and even more reflective sources, especially in the city.
My point again, is to limit the number of "site" frequencies that a non-SDS radio can lock onto.
That said, there is every chance that you'll still suffer multi path distortion/interference.
Steps can be taken with attenuation, relocation and antenna mods to minimize the issue, and if you have some constructive ideas concerning those steps, I'm all ears.
The point of my posts was to give the folks that don't have $650+ receivers a fighting chance at overcoming the issue.
Sheesh...