Speaker blown on 396 xt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
It would appear that Uniden has been using 24-ohm speakers in numerous scanner models for some time now. I googled "24 ohm speaker" and saw a few old threads on other forums about blown 24-ohm speakers in older Uniden models. Although I have never opened it, my 246T looks like it has the same size speaker (from the outside), I would assume it is the same 24-ohm model inside. Maybe you can find a non-working "parts" scanner on eBay real cheap and take the speaker out of that (of course there would be no guarantee that that speaker would be any good either).

Another option you could try is a speaker with a higher impedance. A higher impedance speaker will reduce the output, but won't overload the internal amplifier circuit. Here is a 32-ohm 0.8" speaker for only 50¢ a piece. (no power handling specs listed). At slightly less than 1" in diameter it should fit ok and even has a self stick ring around it. While probably not the best solution it may work ok as a temporary fix.

h.250,w.150,m.643f800b0e467758b4c506375e94b199,3627,sk_230.jpg

Good luck :)

Danny6569

Speaker

Hey chris question for you ? uniden parts says that they sell the speaker for the 246 t but it does not say what omhs it is and all, anyway you can find the specs on it ? or does it say on the box or anything, i looked all over last night for it and couldnt find anything on it ? if it is the same maybe i can just order one right from them

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Danny,

Just opened it up to check. Sorry to say the BC246T uses an 8-ohm speaker. :(

Attachments

• bc246tspeaker.jpg
    bc246tspeaker.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 331

Danny6569

Speaker

Ok thanks chris you didnt have to do all that, why uniden dont show the specs in the parts list i dont know ? but i ordered 4 of those speakers the other ones you showed me anyways, you said they would not hurt the radio but just maybe it wouldnt be as loud as the original right ?

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
As a general rule [with solid state amplifiers] it is usually safe to go higher* in speaker impedance, but not the other way around. ( * = vs. the amplifier's output impedance )

When you decrease the impedance load, the amplifier will output more power (it will draw more current from the amplifier, and may overheat it). When you increase the impedance load, the amplifier will output less power (less current will be drawn from the amplifier; volume will be lower, but it will not overheat). Amplifiers are designed with a maximum safe output level (watts). Generally speaking, as long as you don't exceed that maximum output level then it should be safe.

According to specs listed here; The 396XT's internal amplifier outputs ~310mW @ 24ohms. With a ~32ohm speaker load, it will output somewhere around the ~250mW range. There will probably be a noticeable reduction in the audio output level, but it should still be usable.

The only concern I would have is the power handling of those 32 ohm speakers. Hopefully the speaker itself, or the packaging it comes in will state it's power handling rating (please post it if it does). If it is even less than the stock speaker then it might blow very easily.

Hopefully it works out well for you. :)

Danny6569

Speaker

Yea im lookin at the old speaker here and it says its 24 ohms and 0.5 watts, i just checked my email and they said the other 4 were on the way, so well see what happens

kevins669

Database Admin
RadioShack is the Answer

Ok everyone... I found a solution to our problem.

Once again RadioShack comes through...

Go into any store and have them order RSU product # 12469771

SPEAKER INTERNAL 24ohm .5w speaker

It is $7.69 + $2.50 ground shipping, and is at this moment IN stock.

Should only take a few days to get to you.

I just ordered mine.

-- Kevin

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Ok everyone... I found a solution to our problem.

Once again RadioShack comes through...

Go into any store and have them order RSU product # 12469771

SPEAKER INTERNAL 24ohm .5w speaker

It is $7.69 + $2.50 ground shipping, and is at this moment IN stock.

Should only take a few days to get to you.

I just ordered mine.

-- Kevin

Nice find Kevin. :)

I can't find any reference to that item online. According to your post; the impedance and power handling are the same specs as the stock speaker, but you didn't list the physical size (diameter and depth). Are you sure it will fit in the scanner?

kevins669

Database Admin
Glad you'll be able to get a couple!

I am sure there are not tons of these in stock, so whoever needs one should hurry...

Here's a picture of what we are ordering.

-- Kevin

IMAG0177.jpg

Danny6569

Speaker

Yea that looks like the one we need, im gettin ready to go over there now and order some, as hard as they are to find i might just buy 4 of em, really tired of waitin for uniden forever! this time i wanna have some spares laying around in case it blows again!

Status
Not open for further replies.