Speaker blown on 396 xt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny6569

Im guessing my speaker blew out on my 396 xt ? i turned my radio on today and it sounded terrible and all broken up, so i plugged in a amplified external speaker into it and now its fine, anyone have a problem with there speaker on this radio ?

Danny6569

Speaker blown

Ok i called uniden and they said it would cost about $60.00 to fix, has anyone else replaced this speaker thereselfs ? im asking this because ive had the radio more than a year its not under warranty anymore, just trying to figure out if its that hard to replace it myself ? or should i let them do it ?

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Hear is the speaker under $4

Ok i called uniden and they said it would cost about $60.00 to fix, has anyone else replaced this speaker thereselfs ? im asking this because ive had the radio more than a year its not under warranty anymore, just trying to figure out if its that hard to replace it myself ? or should i let them do it ?

Just order the speaker from them and install it yourself its not hard..here is the part link below

Uniden Online Store - Accessory Detail

Last edited:

Danny6569

Speaker

Ok this is going to sound crazy but i fixed the radio myself, i went and took the radio apart with the instructions cool cat put in here, but i didnt have any speaker yet to replace it with, i just wanted to make sure i could get the old one out first and be able to do this job first, so i was just going to leave the speaker out until i got another one in the mail, because i had an amplified speaker i was using to replace the internal one for now anyways, but as i was looking for some more tools i found a pair of headphones i dont really use so i said let me see if its the same size speaker and it was lol! so i went and took the headphone speaker out of the headphones and put it in the scanner and it was a perfect fit! couldnt fit any better!!! so i went and soldered it in and all and the radio sounds like new! everything went good to go, one thing i noticed though about the uniden speaker is that it looked really cheap and it was mostly plastic but it is what it is, i wasnt too happy with it though, so thanks for the help everyone!

Danny6569

Speaker

Also to add to this post, i clicked on the link above from Dannb to order the speaker from uniden and it is not even available, it says something about preorder ? so who knows how long it would have taken to get one from uniden ?

Last edited:

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Does that mean that there could possibly be a better speaker that can be put in there in place of the original one?

Danny6569

Speaker

Does that mean that there could possibly be a better speaker that can be put in there in place of the original one?

I dont know but i would like to be able to find the best one i could in case it blows again, i asked uniden when i called them yesterday about the repair job and they said it would be the same kind of speaker that was in it before, i asked the guy if he had any better speakers and he said no so it is what it is, but i wish i could find like a premium speaker that size so i dont have to worry about it blowing again!

kevins669

Database Admin
I placed an order for a "blown" speaker in December 2010. I have called Uniden 3 times since to check on the order, and the date has been pushed back now until November of this year (yikes)!

I also noticed a few pieces of metal strands had made it through the windscreen, attracted by the speaker magnet... Upon removal, same blown audio.

To prevent this from happening to the new speaker (whenever it arrives), I asked the parts rep about buying a few pieces of the material to layer on... He said they were not available, and had no idea how to get one...and they do not come with the front cover.

I tried a few types of material around the house, and all significantly muffled the audio.

Anyway, I need to find an alternate source for a speaker...

DannB

Premium Subscriber
There's got to be a way to get a replacement part , even if its not from uniden... it's a 24 ohm, .5watt speaker. There has to be a electronic's repair parts site that would have something for the unit..You would think??? rite??

kevins669

Database Admin
There's got to be a way to get a replacement part , even if its not from uniden... it's a 24 ohm .5watt speaker. There has to be a electronic's repair parts site that would have something for the unit..You would think??? rite??

I just have not looked. It may be tricky to find one that will fit depth-wise, due to the case.

I'm sure it is available somewhere, though. The RS one is too big, fyi.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
I just have not looked. It may be tricky to find one that will fit depth-wise, due to the case.

You make all good points ,but with alittle diggin im sure there is another speaker out there... ill kick it around tonight online to see if i can find one, i will post my finding if i get lucky

Danny6569

Speaker

Why dont you try what i did ? mines working fine now, try finding a dollar store or someplace that sells a small pair of headphones and take the speaker out ?

396XT

I would be interested in this as well. The stock speaker is not that great, so I wonder if there is a better quality speaker out there.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
PM sent

Kevins669 i sent ya a PM check your inbox..DAN

Last edited:

Danny6569

Speaker

That is why I have not explored the headphone option, as suggested above...would probably not be of better quality.

It works pretty good but i can say its not as loud as the one that uniden put in, i usually had my radio on volume 10 and now with the headphone speaker in i have to put it on a 12 setting to hear it ok, but what other option do we have ya know ? im not waiting until november for uniden to get the part in that i think they should already have for sale but they dont ? im not too happy about that part with them, but i guess thats there way of making money by charging everyone the $60.00 to replace the speaker so what can we do ya know ? i just dont think its right to not have it available to the public but they can charge to put it in, and for the $500.00 i paid for the radio i think the speaker should have been a little better than what there using too!

Status
Not open for further replies.