BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Speaker Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Last night the front speaker on my 436 apparently died. I still get audio fine via the headphone jack, so can still listen on earbuds, my clip on speaker, or via external speakers. I was wondering if this is common, and if there is an simple home fix, or do I have to send it in to Uniden?

coxwit

Last night the front speaker on my 436 apparently died. I still get audio fine via the headphone jack, so can still listen on earbuds, my clip on speaker, or via external speakers. I was wondering if this is common, and if there is an simple home fix, or do I have to send it in to Uniden?
Have you checked to see if it might be the speaker cut off in the head phone jack by plugging and unplugging the head phone plug a few times. Mine has stuck before.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 436 speaker is not soldered to the main board, it has springs that contact pads on the front circuit board. It may be that one of the springs is simply not contacting properly. Try removing the 6 screws on the back of the scanner (2 are in the battery compartment) and the front panel with the speaker will come off and you can check the springs and pads and clean them if needed. You can also check for AC voltage at the pads whena transmission is being received.

It could also be the jack. Did the failure start while listening to earbuds?

Attachments

• WP_20170731_001.jpg
    WP_20170731_001.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
OKAY seems the speaker needs tightened down because when I checked the prongs and lifted them a touch then closed the case I had audio but kind of scratchy buzzy til the volume went up, then it was gone. So will see if I can tighten the speaker down again and should be able to roll. The whacked way they have this speaker set up is an expensive alternative to traditional hard wiring. Makes easy replacement possible, but dayum, are they that sure the speaker will break?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There's actually some method to the madness. I can say from experience that having wires soldered between the board and the case makes it a PITA to assemble and disassemble. There's very limited space for wires and it is a challenge to keep them from getting jammed in the keypad when putting the front panel on..

Status
Not open for further replies.