Speaker install worth installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigSauer229

I thought this was kindof a neat idea I came up with(if I don't say so myself) and may be able to help some other members of this forum. I visited the local radio shack today in search of a external speaker. I came across these little 2.5" speakers. Anyways I wanted to mount it up high near my head so I could monitor my scanner more easily. I took one of those little spring clips like (like the one next to the speaker) and used it to secure the speaker to my Visor. I plan on taking off the silver part of the clip so you can't see it, althought it really dosn't matter, as you can see I use them anyways to hold up papers and other stuff. just thought I'd share maybe give somebody some ideas.

Bill
TruckSpeaker.jpg

bluesman905

Cool idea. Are you happier with the sound?
I have given up on speakers in the vehicle. I just tried a 4" mounted on the door frame directly above my head and still have problems listening on the Hwy.
Mind you it works well in the winter with the windows up, just have a hard time this time of year. I have now changed to "direct input" to my ear LOL (headset) . Works great and can still listen to music at a good level.

SigSauer229

I'm using a Uniden 296 and it's better than it was, but in my opinion not loud enof. I'm gonna lookinto maybe switching that speaker to my CB, and getting some kind of amplified speaker for the scanner. Like I said it's better but still not the best. Anybody know if they make a amplified speaker for use like this. I have room on my B pillar behind my seat to mount another.
BIll

IW_RADIO

Interesting. How do you find the speaker tone quality? I had a simular sized speaker and found it to be somewhat "tinny" sounding.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Just this weekend I helped a buddy put the RS amplified speaker in his TAHOE...the little 12v unit. It has PLENTY of volume! And I did not know, that it if it get no signal for 30sec it shuts itself off, so no running down the battery. He wanted it out of sight, so above the pedals, facing out. Works for him.

I like the little speakers, you know, the ones about the size of a biscuit, mounted on the door fram right by my left ear. Even with the window down, I can hear...

ICP963

Feed Provider
I find that going into the AUX inputs of the stereo in my Scion xA gives me more than enough audio with my Bearcat 396. At 160 Watts it will let the whole street hear it too no doubt. :) Never thought I'd hear a scanner boom car, and its my own. Yikes!!

SigSauer229

Mass-man I did a quick search and could not find anything. Do you happen to have a link for that speaker, or know where I can get one. Sounds just like what I want.

The little speakers are a little tinny sounding, but so it the speaker IMO on the 296, so I didn't notice a change. I have not tried to hook it up to my CB yet. I have one of those little cobra's where all the controlls are in the handset, and it defiently needs a external speaker, I don't know if this little speaker will make a difference or not.

cschmit

Nice speaker, may use something like that for my scanner if it is loud enough. For my Yaesu 7900R I have a Kenwood SP-50B mounted on the seatbelt piller, ear height, and that is more then loud enough to hear with the windows open at freeway speeds.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
SigSauer229...I use what looks like the RS speaker in the photo in this thread. But mine sounds way better than the RS. I will go down to the car and see. I bought it at a PETRO truck stop. My ESCAPE has a handle above the door on the driver's side, so it was only a matter of two cable ties and the speaker is firmly mounted only inches from my ear.

My DSL died this weekend, so I didn't see the photo or would have referenced the speaker in the photo...

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
BTW....I have found it as cheap as $8.75 in www land. For that price, you can give it a try, and if you don't like it, you aren't out a lot of cash. Think mine cost me $10.45 at PETRO, but it has been a year or more. Not sure if they still stock 'em!!!

CVPI4Ever

Id be afraid of that thing flying out the window when the window is down. I have a center console so I will drill into that.

Whos the chick?

bluesman905

Running through my stereo was something I had not considered. How did you conect it?
ICP963 said:
I find that going into the AUX inputs of the stereo in my Scion xA gives me more than enough audio with my Bearcat 396. At 160 Watts it will let the whole street hear it too no doubt. :) Never thought I'd hear a scanner boom car, and its my own. Yikes!!

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I've got my VHF and UHF Motorola speakers mounted on the rear package tray, so they fire upwards, next to the rear stereo speakers. The sound is reflected off the rear window and into the cabin very nicely. Some police agencies do this (Michigan SP) and it seems to work well. It solves two problems: Where to mount them out of the way, and how can I still hear them? I also have my UHF vehiclular repeater antenna mounted on the rear deck between the speakers. The nice part is I can throw a couple baseball hats over the whole mess if I really want/need to be discrete for some reason.

I had considered mounting them on or near the B pillar, which I had done in a previous new car, but my two current vehicles are laid out in such a way that my head would probably be hitting the drivers side speaker all the time.

Last edited:

ICP963

Feed Provider
bluesman905 said:
Running through my stereo was something I had not considered. How did you conect it?
The Scion's come with an input jack on the center console next to the shifter. On the upgraded radios they also have an input for the iPods. It sure beats the low volume of most handheld scanners when used in a car.

SigSauer229

Just get a FM modulator. $20 bucks at any electronics store. Then you can broadcast whatever you want through your radio

Bill

cschmit

SigSauer229 said:
Just get a FM modulator. $20 bucks at any electronics store. Then you can broadcast whatever you want through your radio

Bill

Those work or you can even use one of those Cassette adapters, I have used that in my truck in the past and they work really well.

gcgrotz

bluesman905 said:

If you've got one of those old old cassette thingies you can use one of the many adapters out there for mp3 players etc. I used to have one in my van but the new truck is cd only. Darn technology!

PS Love your handle, musician?

Edit: Oops I see my idea already posted. You may also try a local cellular store, they might have a box of removals from when phones had to be installed. The speakers are great since they were designed for voice and they are small. I have 3 old Motorola and one Nokia.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.