Icom: Speaker Mic Help - IC32AT

WB3X

Hello All-

I have in my inventory an IC32AT dual band HT - its been a great radio, and works fine. Built like a tank.

The original speaker mic was the venerable HM-9. Like so many, the two pin straight in connector and strain relief was molded onto the cord. Naturally after years of use the internal wiring fatigues and breaks and there's no way to open the molded plug housing the connections.

Does anyone know of a source for a two pin connector for this mic (Not sure I think they were 3.5mm and 2.5mm) that I could use to replace and re-wire it?

Thanks in advance.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Maybe buy a cheap, Chinese speaker/mic with the appropriate connector and splice it to the cable from your existing HM-9.

doc62

It looks like it uses the standard Icom two pin connection. Any spk/mic wired for Icom should work.

WB3X

Thanks guys. I'd love to avoid going the China route (easily found on Ebay) but might have to. It's still a perfectly good mic other than the connector - hate to have it sit around as a paperweight. If a 3.5mm / 2.5mm connector could be found I should be able to duplicate the pin out arrangement. It's hard to believe such a simple part doesn't exist somewhere.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
It's going to be difficult to replace the 2-pin connector that interfaces with the radio. It might be easier to purchase a new coil cord (with a new 2-pin connector) or maybe cannibalize another mic, and wire the good coil cord to the HM-9 internals.

WB3X

I'm sure you are correct. There may be replacement coiled cord assemblies, and for sure I'll keep looking.

N4KVE

Maybe buy a cheap, Chinese speaker/mic with the appropriate connector and splice it to the cable from your existing HM-9.
I would not use a $5 CCR mike because they do not use shielded cable. It’s easy to hear the motor boating noise when someone uses a CCR mike.