Speaker options

Status
Not open for further replies.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure this topic had been brought up before so pardon my asking, but what does everyone use for external speakers for their scanners? I like the BC23A, but other than Bearcat and Cobra what are my options? I'm needing speakers for a CB and the BCT15X in the work trucks (both are dodge 3500 diesels, and we drive around mostly with the windows down). I'm trying to find a speaker that offers a little more bass because the scanner can be a little tinny sometimes. I would love to buy a small amp board and build my own speakers but I don't have the time to put behind that right now. And would it be wise to run the CB and scanner into the same speaker?

DickH

I'm sure this topic had been brought up before so pardon my asking, but what does everyone use for external speakers for their scanners? I like the BC23A, but other than Bearcat and Cobra what are my options? I'm needing speakers for a CB and the BCT15X in the work trucks (both are dodge 3500 diesels, and we drive around mostly with the windows down). I'm trying to find a speaker that offers a little more bass because the scanner can be a little tinny sometimes. I would love to buy a small amp board and build my own speakers but I don't have the time to put behind that right now. And would it be wise to run the CB and scanner into the same speaker?

If you are near a large city there should be a place selling used two-way radio equipment. Look for a Motorola Power Voice speaker. It has a built-in amplifier and runs on 12 volts. It will blow you right out of the cab.
I believe GE and Johnson also make them.

If you are near a large city there should be a place selling used two-way radio equipment. Look for a Motorola Power Voice speaker. It has a built-in amplifier and runs on 12 volts. It will blow you right out of the cab.
I believe GE and Johnson also make them.

Holy high priced speaker!! That power voice costs as much as my bcd436hp!!

FKimble

Just pickup a couple used Motorola, GE or other old name radio external speakers(better ones will run $10 to $30 depending on quantity and how good they look. Most are 8 ohms so check what your scanner requires and verify before purchase. They usually come with the wires cut back to around 1 to 3 ft. Its 2wire like a house lampcord. You will need to add the appropriate plug as used by the scanner.

DickH

Just pickup a couple used Motorola, GE or other old name radio external speakers(better ones will run $10 to $30 depending on quantity and how good they look. Most are 8 ohms so check what your scanner requires and verify before purchase. They usually come with the wires cut back to around 1 to 3 ft. Its 2wire like a house lampcord. You will need to add the appropriate plug as used by the scanner.

Speakers with 2 wires do not have an amplifier. Amplified speakers have at least 4 wires; two for audio and two for 12 volts. Don't worry about the impedance. They will all work with scanners.

teufler

the bc23a is double the price of the bc15. Th bc23a is an amplified speaker which will overcome noise from the road or cab noise. Most scanners only output less than 1 watt of audio, you will like the higher output that the bc23a produces. In the house I use amplified computer speakers which produce a fuller sound than just the small speaker in the scanner.

FedFyrGuy

Premium Subscriber
Speco AES4 10W Amplified Deluxe Professional Communications Speaker

The SPECO amplified communications speaker is another alternative. Plenty loud and under $40 from most online stores.

teufler

AS WAS REPORTED BY Dickh, the Lotorola amplfied speaker is the one to get. Some were designs that fit on motocyles so they were loud enough to be heard over wind and air noise while mobile. A good non-amplified speaker were the speakers made by Johnson for their commercial gear. They were 4 ohm speakers so when feed with an 8ohm load, they come through load and clear. I ran with them on my ham gear when mobile. A friend of mine, has non amplified Motorola speakers mounted on the door frame by his left ear. Not that he is deaf but the location delivers good and loud audio. Motorola HSN4005A SPEAKERS, black face,

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
Would any of you suggest putting a CB and the scanner on the same speaker? The CB is hardly ever used (talking) so its mainly for listening right now, and the scanner is always on. I know I can run a splitter and put each on its own on/off switch and physically have them both hooked up at the same time, but I mean both running at the same time?

This may come across as a noobish question, but I have 2 tricks to outfit and $160+ is not cheap for speakers any you slice it (price based on 4 speakers at $40 average....actually based on the BC23A).

Status
Not open for further replies.