speakers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MB

Feed Provider
Go-24 said:
I am looking for some extension speakers to be used with my new BCD996T and soon to arive BCT15.

Anyone have an opinion on what seem to be overly priced speakers > http://www.grove-ent.com/SPEAKERS.html are they really worth it?

Good question..

I have used the 3 different kinds of Radio Shack speakers (amplified, small, large) and while they work OK, I would like something better.

I have heard Motorola speakers and they sound pretty good, and you can always pick them up on ebay. I am going to look into that.

The Gap "Hear It" DSP speaker sounds good. But for $160!!! wow that is expensive! I would definately like to actually "hear it" perform before I would buy one. Anyone have any experience with the DSP speakers? Any other reccomendations for us?

Go-24

I found this site > http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/29 in a search for more info.

Below are 3 speakers priced high / medium / low ...

Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker
Reviews: 92 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $179.95

--- HUGE price, but if it actually did what it claims, it might be worth it.

Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker
Reviews: 86 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $99.00

--- This speaker has lots of good reviews, but its huge.

RCA PRO-X33AV SPEAKER
Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $40

--- Decent reviews, small price tag, discontinued so would be a tough search.

I am currently on ebay trying to find some of these - havent had much luck yet.

MacombMonitor

The "DSP" speakers are intended more for shortwave equipment, to assist in filtering out the interference that is present along with the signal itself. They would do little to improve the sound on a scanner radio.

MB

Feed Provider
MacombMonitor said:
The "DSP" speakers are intended more for shortwave equipment, to assist in filtering out the interference that is present along with the signal itself. They would do little to improve the sound on a scanner radio.

So your saying that we would notice no difference at all while listening to a scanner?

I have never heard any shortwave communications, so I wouldn't know about the interference.

What about some of the static with weak scanner communications. Would the DSP speakers filter this out?

MacombMonitor

MB said:
So your saying that we would notice no difference at all while listening to a scanner?

I have never heard any shortwave communications, so I wouldn't know about the interference.

What about some of the static with weak scanner communications. Would the DSP speakers filter this out?

A DSP speaker will function similar to graphic equalizer on your stereo. It allows you to tailor the sound characteristics by clipping the high, and/or low audio frequencies, which will have the effect of enhancing the midrange voice frequencies. While it might help in reducing some background hiss, it won't make a weak signal stronger.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

Just my 2c worth;
"Anyone have any experience with the DSP speakers?"
No, but plenty with DSP. Hams ans SWLs find it invaluable on HF under difficult conditions, it sure cleans up a lot of crap in the receive audio. It is NOT a substitute for some of those "fancy" receiver functions, rather a very good adjunct.

As for VHF where noise is practically nonexistant, FM in particular, it's as useless as the proverbial female part on a bull and actually degrades the audio.

"Any other reccomendations for us?"
Only the usual speakers designed specifically for communications. Beware of Rat Shack and other cheap (?) imitations, mostly they're just radio replacement speakers in plastic boxes. Those in the know prefer Motorola speakers but like I have said many times before they're generic and can have any name of commercial equipment stamped on them or none at all. If you like rip-offs just shop e-Bay for any crap you like to throw money away on. Check www.arrl.org for hamfests in your area, $5 is not unreasonable or your area service shop (many municipaities have thier own) where likely they have a huge cardboard box full of them in a dusty corner of the supply room. If you ask real nice the tech will probably put one in your little hand and send you merrily on yor way.

One last thought;
"A DSP speaker will function similar to graphic equalizer on your stereo."
If that's all it does it's a piece of crap, you may as well use an analog EQ. I suggest you look into what's available in the way of external audio DSP units so you can wonder what all those bandpass, bandstop, bandwidth, peak, null, invert, depth, NR, level, etc. knobs are for. (;->)
"...it won't make a weak signal stronger."
Got that right, your puny 98lb weakling scanner need Scanamins, a good RF diet and a daily jog around the park. A workout three times a week at Copper's Gym wouldn't hurt. (;->)

MacombMonitor

kb2vxa said:
Hi all,

Just my 2c worth;
"Anyone have any experience with the DSP speakers?"
No, but plenty with DSP. Hams ans SWLs find it invaluable on HF under difficult conditions, it sure cleans up a lot of crap in the receive audio.
[clipped]
One last thought;
"A DSP speaker will function similar to graphic equalizer on your stereo."
If that's all it does it's a piece of crap, you may as well use an analog EQ. I suggest you look into what's available in the way of external audio DSP units so you can wonder what all those bandpass, bandstop, bandwidth, peak, null, invert, depth, NR, level, etc. knobs are for.

Actually I did own a Timewave DSP-599zx Digital Noise Filter. While not an actual speaker, it was between the radio, and the speaker, so basically the same. I used it with various shortwave HF receivers. But to be honest, I was less than impressed, and felt the device was way overpriced (almost $400.00!), and way overrated as well. It helped, but I think that amount of money would be better spent in upgrading the entire receiver.

As for my "similar to a graphic equalizer" analogy...I was attempting to put it in layman's terms, as the entire theory is quite complicated.

http://www.timewave.com/

Attachments

• DSP-599zxHeadONcrop1.jpg
    DSP-599zxHeadONcrop1.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 637

JHaislet

I just picked up a Uniden ESP-20 and have been pleased with it. For $12 it was a steal. It's not externally powered, so no power brick, and it's actually rather heavy for its size (fairly large magnet). I've got it running off a 396 and it sounds much better than the stock internal speaker.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4402

Last edited:

Go-24

I looked at that one too MB, the specs look pretty good and the reviews are great, but at this time I think its a little big (10x10x12) for my shack layout.

I picked up a couple of the MJF cleartone speakers I mentioned above - small and cheap enough to roll the dice. Figured they will at least get my feet wet in speakers - hahaha!

MB

Feed Provider
Go-24 said:
I looked at that one too MB, the specs look pretty good and the reviews are great, but at this time I think its a little big (10x10x12) for my shack layout.

I picked up a couple of the MJF cleartone speakers I mentioned above - small and cheap enough to roll the dice. Figured they will at least get my feet wet in speakers - hahaha!

When you get them, let us know how they are. I am in the market for some new speakers also. I am sick of the Radio Shack speakers.

Go-24

Just got the MFJ speakers - I would advise to steer clear of them. The sound of the MFJ is very thin - mostly treble and no bass response. I think the BCD996T internal speaker sounds much better than them.

I guess I am still looking ...

MB

Feed Provider
Try a Motorola speaker! I am very satisfied with mine. I just got a HSN4031A and it sounds great - a lot better then any Radio Shack speaker I have had. I can crank the scanner up really loud with no distrotion and it has a good deep sound. I think I am now going to replace all of my R.S. speakers with Motorolas..

Go-24

I didnt have my surround speakers to my home stereo hooked up, so I took one of the MFJ speakers apart and hijacked the wiring - put in my kenwood KS-706HT surround speaker and it sounds sweet! $12 for a wiring kit, LMAO!

According to specs its a 4" paper cone woofer with a treated cloth surround and a 1" poly balanced-dome tweeter.

rhutch

The Motorolas are great. You can pick them up cheap at hamfest's. I just got two new in the box, one amplified and one not for $20.

Go-24

What size are the speakers? How many watts? What size are the speaker enclosures? What are the enclosures made of plastic, wood, metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.