Speaking of the W6LVP loop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Anybody used one of these indoors? I have heard of attic installations but I have no attic and the landlord is not going to go with another on the roof. Wondering about performance.

MDScanFan

I have used a W6LVP loop and a wellbrook indoor loop in an attic and in a bedroom. Connected to a decent portable or base receiver. As expected, they pick up a lot more noise than if they were mounted outside away from the house. However, I find they work much better than a wire or whip antenna in the same indoor location. The signal to noise is generally better. Also, I have had great success with nulling indoor noise by careful positioning of the loop - this helps a lot.

prcguy

I tried mine indoors and was surprised at how well it worked. Any other antenna I've used for SW reception indoors had a terrible noise floor and very weak reception due to the limited size you can get away with indoors. My 1m active whip is considered very high performance but indoors its almost useless.

merlin

Hey thanks. I might be able to deal with some noise going through a preslector for LF/HF.
I seem to be in a RF dead zone so need all the edge I can get. I skimmed across 5 to 60 Mhz a while ago and not 1 signal to be found. What I am using is a 50 inch whip with coupler and simple preamp. Looks to tune OK but still nothing of a usable signal, no WWV, no NMC, nothing. I expected local AM to be stronger but I have that notched 60Db down. Thinking I will drag out my 8711 but don't know where I will put it.
73s

MDScanFan

Having no usable signal from 5-60 MHz is concerning. At night you should get something in that range. Is your noise floor high and masking the signals or is the noise floor low and you just don't receive anything?

What kind of construction do you have for your building? I am wondering if shielding is an issue.

Have you tried placing the whip near or outside a window for a test case to see if it helps?

Your 8711 is begging to be used. I wish I had one.

Anybody used one of these indoors? I have heard of attic installations but I have no attic and the landlord is not going to go with another on the roof. Wondering about performance.
I have a Wellbrook that I just use outside on a tripod so I can put it outside easily and then bring it inside when I'm done listening. Surely you can do the same thing where you live I'd think.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you have all that noise, something - maybe more than 1 - is really clobbering you and is likely to be close. I would get an el cheapo portable and do some homework. If you live in a home, once you get the portable, turn everything off for a few minutes. If the noise goes away. it's a real strong sign that it's something in your home.

A loop would help, to be sure, but the better solution is to find the cause of your issue. Mike

merlin

Having no usable signal from 5-60 MHz is concerning. At night you should get something in that range. Is your noise floor high and masking the signals or is the noise floor low and you just don't receive anything?

What kind of construction do you have for your building? I am wondering if shielding is an issue.

Have you tried placing the whip near or outside a window for a test case to see if it helps?

Your 8711 is begging to be used. I wish I had one.
At night, I have seen a few very weak signals across the span, but puzzling no amateur, W1AW, NMC etc.
I am hurting in the HF/LF antenna arena, why I asked. Noise is a bit high but I can rid a lot with the preselector. Above 60 Mhz, the noise and interference is in orbit for being less than 400 yards from a major repeater/cell site. That goes up from 740 Mhz, like +30 Db
The building is OLD, 1931 vintage. no 'outside' except up to the roof.(My kingdom for a balcony).
Hardly matters where the whip is so the building doesn't block much.
My WJ8711 is in a 21U rack, just no idea where to put it. Looking from the computer desk you see my situation: ( maybe toss the bed for a recliner)

Attachments

• IMG_20210525_230515.jpg
    IMG_20210525_230515.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.