Speaking of Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

I wonder what they have been up to recently? Anything new on the drawing board?

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

It could be a scanner..... ;)

Seriously, Paul can't give hints with Whistler hovering over his every online utterance. The fact that he's posted confirmation that they are already working on something new is already more than we are usually told before a new product is officially announced.

If I had to guess, I'd say an analog only version of the x36 radios will come out next. I'd pick one up as an extra scanner if the price was right (say $200 or so). We still have quite a bit of analog out here to listen to. Maybe if I TYPE IN ALL CAPS THIS TIME Paul will let me beta-test something finally.

I'll just keep asking you Paul, until you finally relent and say yes. ;)

-AZ

eaf1956

Feed Provider

Maybe if I TYPE IN ALL CAPS THIS TIME Paul will let me beta-test something finally.

-AZ

If they BETA tested they wouldn't have released the x36 series yet. Come on seriously do you think anyone checked them to see if they did all they said they would?

AZScanner

If they BETA tested they wouldn't have released the x36 series yet. Come on seriously do you think anyone checked them to see if they did all they said they would?

I know for a FACT they beta tested the x36's because I got a programming file from one of the members of the beta team shortly after I ordered my scanner. The beta team is likely why, when you select Analyze from the x36's menu, the scanner responds with "Not Available". My guess is that the beta team found it had too many bugs that couldn't be fixed in time for the planned release date.

The question is not "did anyone look at it". The question is "what else would have also been wrong if there wasn't a beta team to catch it". As complicated as these new scanners are, I'm sure the beta team found PLENTY of other problems that we never heard about because they were fixed long before the x36 scanners were released.

I'd like to be a part of that effort at some point, but first Paul has to let me join the team. :)

-AZ

troymail

Silent Key
Hopefully there is an APP and some new firmware for the x36s in the works. Expectation of that long promised APP is the only thing keeping me from selling the 536. And based on complaints from others who applied the last (only) firmware update to the 436, I haven't (never found a need to say that for any other radio in the past - until now).

So two simple questions (and only UPMan need reply since the rest of your don't know)

1. Will we ever see that long promised APP?

2. Is there a firmware update coming anytime soon for either the 436 or 536?

I don't expect to receive an answer ... but I'm asking anyway.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I know for a FACT they beta tested the x36's because I got a programming file from one of the members of the beta team shortly after I ordered my scanner. The beta team is likely why, when you select Analyze from the x36's menu, the scanner responds with "Not Available". My guess is that the beta team found it had too many bugs that couldn't be fixed in time for the planned release date.

The question is not "did anyone look at it". The question is "what else would have also been wrong if there wasn't a beta team to catch it". As complicated as these new scanners are, I'm sure the beta team found PLENTY of other problems that we never heard about because they were fixed long before the x36 scanners were released.

I'd like to be a part of that effort at some point, but first Paul has to let me join the team. :)

-AZ

I vote for you and Jeff at the Ham Station to be BETA testers. (Does that help?)

AZScanner

Hopefully there is an APP and some new firmware for the x36s in the works. Expectation of that long promised APP is the only thing keeping me from selling the 536. And based on complaints from others who applied the last (only) firmware update to the 436, I haven't (never found a need to say that for any other radio in the past - until now).

So two simple questions (and only UPMan need reply since the rest of your don't know)

1. Will we ever see that long promised APP?

2. Is there a firmware update coming anytime soon for either the 436 or 536?

I don't expect to receive an answer ... but I'm asking anyway.

We should retitle this thread "Questions Paul Can't/Won't Answer" LOL...

For the firmware update, I'd say we're probably going to see one soon. The HP-1 just got an update recently, so we x36 owners can't be too far behind for the fixes and features we've been waiting on.

As for the app, that mess is currently back in the laps of the dongle manufacturer with no ETA for a fix that Paul can share with us - that's all the info anyone here has, including Paul. What would be better anyway, to wait for an app that WORKS or release one that has known issues? We all saw the fecal-to-fan that happened when the scanners were sent out with stuff not working. Can you imagine the backlash over an APP that also has problems? I don't blame Paul for not wanting to even respond right now given the absolute mess this has been. Besides, what can he say that we don't already know? It's not like he's building dongles in a back room somewhere or writing firmware updates himself. He's literally waiting on someone else to finish the work, just like the rest of us.

If you really want an update on the app, find out who makes the dongle and ask them for an ETA. Maybe if they start getting inundated with emails from angry Uniden customers, they'll take notice and try to fix the damn things sooner.

If I had the money, I'd buy a 536 right now and start working on my own app for it. What if the dongle isn't really the issue? I've worked with plenty of developers who insisted that something was happening because of a hardware failure, and in reality it was a bug in the software. In another instance, the hardware was causing the problem because we were asking it to do something it couldn't, so in the end we were able to work around it in code and ask the hardware to do something it could do. Has anyone here tried tinkering with that dongle to see what can be done with it?

-AZ

1Partsman

not trying to be derogatory, but maybe Uniden should finish what they started first with the x36's and made promises for, before they try to sell us all another $600.-$700. scanner.....

John

AZScanner

not trying to be derogatory, but maybe Uniden should finish what they started first with the x36's and made promises for, before they try to sell us all another $600.-$700. scanner.....

John

Well to be fair, I think the digital scanner owners are still the bleeding edge of scanner geekdom and a very small segment of the market. Why else would a digital scanner still sell for $500 and up?

I would say that based on what I've seen and heard on sites such as this one, the lions share of radio scanners being made and sold today are still analog units, marketed mainly to racing fans. Europe also has a very robust analog scanner market where planespotting is all the rage - most other stuff is digital AND encrypted (sound familiar?) and there's not much use for a $500+ P25 scanner over there.

We tend to forget that the scanner market is global and mostly still analog. That's why I think the next new product Paul announces will be an analog version of the x36 series, which would have a much broader appeal to the market, especially if features were included for racefans to make use of.

-AZ

Jake68111

I looked into my magic crystal ball just now and I'm going to go with a far fetched guess that mayhaps, next week, we'll get some sort of update on at least ONE of the above topics.

For real though keep it civil, you never can tell when you'll surprise yourself by logging on.

As difficult as it may be, even for myself, PATIENCE and CIVILITY goes a long way.

Still very excited for the FULL potential that the 536 possesses.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Well to be fair, I think the digital scanner owners are still the bleeding edge of scanner geekdom and a very small segment of the market. Why else would a digital scanner still sell for $500 and up?

-AZ

OMG you mean I'm a GEEK cause I got 3 digital scanners? And you mean you don't have the awesome 536HP? Pity sakes, you can listen to mine with ProScan client (free) ver 7.1 just look for evansvillescan.noip.me and port 5000 not the 5001. lol Beware though the audio kinda sucks compared to the 996XT.

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987

Seriously, Paul can't give hints with Whistler hovering over his every online utterance. The fact that he's posted confirmation that they are already working on something new is already more than we are usually told before a new product is officially announced.

If I had to guess, I'd say an analog only version of the x36 radios will come out next. I'd pick one up as an extra scanner if the price was right (say $200 or so). We still have quite a bit of analog out here to listen to. Maybe if I TYPE IN ALL CAPS THIS TIME Paul will let me beta-test something finally.

-AZ

Are they even a factor? Hell, were they ever a factor? Go to their website and it seems like scanners are an afterthought. I have seen very little information (more like none) on their FB page, and by the time they get around to releasing old technology (if they ever get around to releasing old technology), Radio Shack will more than likely be long gone so that will be one less outlet gone for Whistler's distribution. Maybe they can get Fingerhut to carry their line. :eek:

UPMan did give one (small) bit of interesting news/hint in a thread I started a while back. I asked if we would ever see another high-end (i.e., digital) scanner that does not utilize the RR database on a microSD card. His reply was "yes." That gives me some hope.

:)

SCPD

QRT
I doubt you will see an only analog model, but an updated 396- 996 able to do phase II without all the bells and whistles the new "flagship" ones have, or suppose to have. And by no means is this an insult to Paul or Uniden. I still hold my ground that the BCD 996 XT I have is one great scanner, have no regrets I own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.