Speaking of Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
UPMan did give one (small) bit of interesting news/hint in a thread I started a while back. I asked if we would ever see another high-end (i.e., digital) scanner that does not utilize the RR database on a microSD card. His reply was "yes." That gives me some hope.

:)

Your question didn't specify Uniden high-end (digital) scanner. Could he have meant the Whistler scanners? :)

jdobbs2001

My suspicion is a new generation scanner that offers new features like WiFi capability, Siren and new Analyze feature.

Plus NXDN/TRBO capacity since most of the Business users are moving to that,

SCPD

QRT
W4EEL, I remember that posted question and the first response came from Paul. My first response to that was he, or Uniden were working on something. You could be right that where he is in this business ,that sure, another company could do that, no problem! I'll also go on the" hope wagon" that they produce a model without all the bells and whistles that does what I posted previous.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It could be a scanner..... ;)

Seriously, Paul can't give hints with Whistler hovering over his every online utterance. The fact that he's posted confirmation that they are already working on something new is already more than we are usually told before a new product is officially announced.

-AZ

He said they are working something, but as I recall he does other products as well as scanners. Maybe it's a new P25 baby monitor. :twisted:

garys

Premium Subscriber
LOL, good one. Reminds me of the line in Top Gun where Goose says "What was the number to that truck driving school we saw on TV?" I still use that one at work from time to time, and it still gets laughs.

-AZ

I used to hand out McDonald's applications to under performing recruits.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I doubt you will see an only analog model, but an updated 396- 996 able to do phase II without all the bells and whistles the new "flagship" ones have, or suppose to have. And by no means is this an insult to Paul or Uniden. I still hold my ground that the BCD 996 XT I have is one great scanner, have no regrets I own one.
Why do you doubt an analog only model? Contrary to popular believe their are a lot of places that a analog scanner still has it's merits.The tinfoil hat crowd will try and make you believe that is not true but I beg to differ.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

eaf1956

Feed Provider
UPMan did give one (small) bit of interesting news/hint in a thread I started a while back. I asked if we would ever see another high-end (i.e., digital) scanner that does not utilize the RR database on a microSD card. His reply was "yes." That gives me some hope.

:)

I'd settle for a 536HP with the database on 4-16 Gig internal memory and not on a Micro SD card. Memory is a whole lot cheaper than it was a few years ago. That's why my PC is 16 Gig. Maybe they could use the Micro SD card for recordings or something.

SCPD

QRT
Good point Mule 1075, an analog only still works in a lot of locations. Would I be off base to say that by looking at the database, as systems update, more are inclined to go digital, whether they can be monitored or not. And as a company that manufactures scanners, wouldn't you manufacture a product that could receive both analog and digital than just one that receives analog only. That's the benefit of a scanner that is digital, it can receive both, and in todays economy to both the consumer and the company that produces such products their overhead would be more profitable.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Good point Mule 1075, an analog only still works in a lot of locations. Would I be off base to say that by looking at the database, as systems update, more are inclined to go digital, whether they can be monitored or not. And as a company that manufactures scanners, wouldn't you manufacture a product that could receive both analog and digital than just one that receives analog only. That's the benefit of a scanner that is digital, it can receive both, and in todays economy to both the consumer and the company that produces such products their overhead would be more profitable.
Not off base at all in your thinking at all.But their is in my opinion still a market for a analog scanner like the 346xt with trunking or 125at without trunking.Bad thing about the 125at is it does not do 800mhz at all so you are screwed a bit if you have conventional 800mhz freqs that are still in use with the LAFD being an example. Another thing is price around me is still vhf hi/UHF and is more than likely going to stay that way for years to come so if somebody new gets in the hobby they don't have to spend an arm and leg for a radio they will not use to its capabilities.So with all that being said I like the idea of a lower end analog scanner.Again all depends on your area and also what you like to monitor.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Boatanchor

Uniden are still selling thousands, of 396XT and 996XT's around the globe.

People shouldn't forget that the x36HP scanners were basically designed to cater only for the North American and Canadian markets. Outside of that target market there is a whole global market for 'traditional' P25/digital and analogue scanners.

The x96XT scanners are probably overdue for a facelift and an update. Most people that own a 396xt for example are pretty happy with the size and overall layout, but an updated 396xt with the following updates would serve Uniden well both globally and within the home markets IMHO:

Updated 396xt changes:

* Retain a form factor close to the existing unit's size (the 436HP is too big to EDC IMHO).
* Larger display with large, medium and small fonts options for those who want less or more detail.
If you look at the black surround around the existing 396xt LCD, there is sufficient space there to potentially increase the LCD size up to 40mm x 30mm or even larger.
* Retain the 25-1300Mhz coverage.
* Change the volume control to default to volume (unless pressed for squelch)
* Incorporate Phase 2 and DMR.
* Incorporate real NFM filtering (add NFM IF filter)
* Incorporate limited internal memory or an SD card for audio recording/logging (if Uniden can sort out the SD crash problems).
* Incorporate illuminated keypad buttons (doesn't need to be bright, just bright enough to see in the dark. with time delay).
* Get rid of the dated silver front panel.
* Faster USB interface plug.
* Combined Discriminator/Control channel data output.

As for the 996xt, many of these updates could be adapted to that model too.

Most of these changes would require significant hardware re-designs, but some aspects of the existing design could be retained with minor re-tooling, such as the case and front end filtering etc.

The biggest issue for Uniden, and I'm sure they are well aware of this, is that if they did release such a product, sales of the x36HP would likely plummet.

It would be a tough decision for Uniden. Hold off on releasing an updated XT series scanner in the hope that the x36HP will eventually pay for itself in four or five years time, or release an updated XT scanner now and potentially sell thousands more units at home and around the Globe.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the response Mule, you make a valid point as to the price for someone getting into the hobby not spending an arm and leg. Boatanchor, no disagreement here, Like your thinking on the 396xt and the 996xt, and if an updated version did come out, my thoughts are the same.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
* Larger display with ...

As a point of reference, the decision to give the 436 a larger display than the 396 is the sole reason the 436 is so much larger than the 396. Try to photoshop the 396 into something with a larger display and see what you get. :) (Oh, and we can't do 0-clearance display borders like on cellphones...that is a very expensive design solution that isn't in a scanner's development/production budget.)

mancow

Database Admin
I just want to see the HomePatrol form factor or something similar continue on. Nothing beats it in a mobile environment for ease of use and safety. It really is a very refined and polished product user interface wise. A color touch screen with similar three button layout with the ability to toggle between an HP1 layout type of user interface mode and classic 436 screen mode on the 436 would have been amazing.

However, for many of us DMR is going to be a real problem as time goes on. More than one county in my area has switch to it with others looking seriously at it.

Last edited:

Boatanchor

As a point of reference, the decision to give the 436 a larger display than the 396 is the sole reason the 436 is so much larger than the 396. Try to photoshop the 396 into something with a larger display and see what you get. :) (Oh, and we can't do 0-clearance display borders like on cellphones...that is a very expensive design solution that isn't in a scanner's development/production budget.)

Point taken ☺

I guess that even a very small increase in width/height can make a big difference when it comes to displaying long channel names, talk group alias's etc and customising font size.

We'll be happy with Uniden re-using the existing XT display if it means getting the other features in an affordable package and released sooner rather than later ;-)

markab

FYI

Uniden are still selling thousands, of 396XT and 996XT's around the globe.

People shouldn't forget that the x36HP scanners were basically designed to cater only for the North American and Canadian markets. Outside of that target market there is a whole global market for 'traditional' P25/digital and analogue scanners.

Just a quick FYI. Canada is part of North America. :)

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.