Special Event Station commemorating a football game in Indianapolis this Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Special Event Stations from Indianapolis will commemorate this great week dealing with the upcoming Sporting Event by using the call sign K0LTS.

Members of the Indianapolis Radio Club, RCA Radio Club, and Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Club will begin on Monday, January 30th, at 00:01 EST and operate through Sunday, February 5th, 23:59 EST. There will be a special commemorative QSL card, check the K0LTS callsign on QRZ.com.

They are not allowed by NFL rules to mention Super Bowl on the air. Listen for the K0LTS Special Event calls on these suggested frequencies:

SSB CW

6M 50140 50040
10M 28340 28040
12M 24940 24910
15M 21350 21040
17M 18140 18090
20M 14240 14040
30M 10140
40M 7240 7040
80M 3840 3540
160M 1840 1810

Some operators may be using digital modes as well.

Hopefully, you will be able to make several contacts with them.

kv6o

They are not allowed by NFL rules to mention Super Bowl on the air.

Wow, the NFL has rules that reach into FCC Part 97? Or is the Special Event station station a commercial event - I am pretty sure that's not legal under FCC part 97. Last I checked NFL rules are just that - not law. So long as your use of the term Super Bowl it legal (fair use), you can mention it on the air. Just like you did here in your post. BTW, I am going to a Super Bowl party tomorrow - nobody calls it a "Special Sporting Event Party".

Steve
KV6O

P.S. - I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but be aware what your rights are and don't be bullied by corporations who overreach their claims!

mancow

Database Admin
I've never understood the whole can't mention the name thing. Wouldn't you think the NFL would want people talking about them? Wouldn't that be basically free advertising? I don't get it.

kv6o

Where does it say you can't say "Super Bowl"? Is it like saying "Voldermort"? :)

Advertisers can't use the phrase in an ad (actually they can if they meet the fair use requirements, but most choose not to) - basically you have to be very careful in a commercial setting. But there is no problem putting the phrase "Super Bowl" in a TV listing, using it to describe your party, reporting it on the news, talking about it with your friends, etc. I don't see how a ham radio special event station (which has zero commercial interests) would have a problem under fair use.

Actually, I am more puzzled why they would want to run a special event station commemorating an event that they are afraid to mention. ;-)

Steve
KV6O

Status
Not open for further replies.