Specifically, what exact bands/freq can Tech Class TALK on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
...try and convince me that mechanical fastened ground wires using foriegn made cheap electrical connectors and crimpers have a better continuity and less resistance than a soldered connector/properly prepared wire, correct solder, correct heat range, and people who know how to solder...Connection???? I dissagree with this test question amongst many others...

You can disagree with something until you're blue in the face, but it will never change the fact that you're wrong 🙃 "people who know how to solder" is the best part. I've made a killing fixing wiring and electrical issues on vehicles owned and repaired and/or modified by "people who know how to solder". To this day my eyes light up when I get a customer complaining about electric gremlins and I find those first soldered splices. Daddy's making an extra mortgage payment again this month!

Honestly, if you're approaching the amateur radio hobby with this much hostility and contempt, not to mention confusion, perhaps you should stick to CB. You guys can talk about how many pills yer heaters got and your magical 18 foot lengths of coax and other nonsense.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I am afraid I may have gone a little overboard there.
She is a very capable intelligent young lady that just hasn't grasped the finer nuances of Ham radio.... though the callsign thingy is not too much of an exaggeration.
No disrespect to Cindy intended--just poking a little fun at the newbie.

Don't take the exam questions personally Rat.

You have heard of the book/movie " '50 Shades of Grey' " ?... well think of this testing business as a collection of answers in those shades---
But in your case the correct shade is the one that you answer to pass the test.

Answering what goes against your common sense sux's... but Hey-- in the Middle Ages people where burned at the stake for less.

Pass the tests and then you can prove the fools wrong :).

Lauri

wx9svr

Premium Subscriber

In my HS physics classes, the eqn vf² - vi² = 2ad was nicknamed "Tad" (for the '2ad' term, of course). If it happened during homework review or in-class problems that we needed that eqn, everyone would say, "use Tad." It just so happened that my class also had a guy named Todd. It became a running gag to mix up Tad & Todd on random occasions.......Good memories of good times!

ratfink11

You can disagree with something until you're blue in the face, but it will never change the fact that you're wrong 🙃 "people who know how to solder" is the best part. I've made a killing fixing wiring and electrical issues on vehicles owned and repaired and/or modified by "people who know how to solder". To this day my eyes light up when I get a customer complaining about electric gremlins and I find those first soldered splices. Daddy's making an extra mortgage payment again this month!

Honestly, if you're approaching the amateur radio hobby with this much hostility and contempt, not to mention confusion, perhaps you should stick to CB. You guys can talk about how many pills yer heaters got and your magical 18 foot lengths of coax and other nonsense.

Your absolutely right....
I also repair many electrical gremlins in vehicles, but primarily building entire harnesses when restoring them. Im not refering to splices, Im referring to connectors, cheap connectors, that dont meet minimum specs, not using the proper crimper tools, cant pass pull or flex tests, wrong stranded wire types used. Etc... I watched in horror, a newly restored 1962 Ferrari started smoking then burst into flames driving on freeway.... Due to bad crimps.

I built a pc based programmable stripping and crimping machine that also solders all my crimps using heat shrink marine connectors. All the wire I use is Marine grade... So yes, I do owe an appology for coming across wrong.. I am sincerely sorry for being an ###. But still dissagree with how the questions are written. If the ham hobby wants to continue to have a future they really need to focus on direct straight forward question formats. Or consider hiring Technical Writers?

ratfink11

Yes, I would be glad to. I sent ARRL an email, offered to build them a new website.

AKN9,my profession is a software/Web developer, this is normally a billable service. However, if you happen to be affiliated with arrl.org website and I can be of service feel free to contact me.

The info I am providing that you requested is from one single web page. Amongst, probable thousands of dead links especially within any forum type member response hyperlinks. There are extreme issues with the arrl.org website. Primary is security due to being written in FrontPage which has been depricated for over 15 years. But a basic list of high ptriority issues at the moment are.

---No SSL/HTTPS Secure URL Anyone can spoof the arrl.org website and start stealing forum users info. This is huge major issue right now. Can easily be resolved by hosting services Cpanel config for domain security. Hosting providers modify Cpanel and features per hosting fees so menu may look different.

--- No Site Map

--- Not Responsive, no mobile view.

--- This one single page has 198 additional url links, which is bad. It took 14 minutes to scan this one page for dead links. As the website is built it has minimum 198 plus linked pages, and links within links within links etc....

--- No standard practice in use for current SEO Optimization practices

--- Lot more to name

Below is a very simplistic SEO report. The website is only 73-75% of SEO Standards, its much less as I didnt do a deep scan.

Here is the dead links report on the one page,

Transmatch/Antenna Tuner (quick scan)
Generated: 6/23/2022 7:54:45 AM

100% scanned - 198/198 URLs checked, 196 OK, 2 failed

Attached is a simplistic SEO Report.

Attachments

• arrl_org_seocheck_2022_06_23_220623_082823.pdf
    233 KB · Views: 2

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate that...

The issue I have is I actually want to understand the knowlege instead of having to play twist the trick question game and try and convince me that mechanical fastened ground wires using foriegn made cheap electrical connectors and crimpers have a better continuity and less resistance than a soldered connector/properly prepared wire, correct solder, correct heat range, and people who know how to solder....Connection???? I dissagree with this test question amongst many others.... so I have justt memorized the entire pool... soon to take my general and extra and pass with flying colors understanding non of it... and this is our issue at hand... If the powers that be used relavent straight forward questions, I would have more understanding of what im doing....

Just started reading this thread in depth, sorry for the delay.

According to the NEC, only mechanical connections using listed components OR welding are allowable ground connection methods. Soldering is not ok, there is too much force involved in high current situations (go ahead ask how I know this :) )

Listed components takes care of the cheap connector problem.

Thanks
Joel

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
The original question as posted IS a little trickier than at first sight.

You can only transmit on the bands and modes as specified, but the person you are talking WITH, can transmit on whatever THEY are authorized, and you can listen to them on.

Some countries have different frequencies allowed for ham radio, and you can listen to them on their frequency, and reply on one that you are authorized. The same goes for different license classes (although I don't know how common it is.)

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Joel

jondainty

Premium Subscriber
There are no dumb questions Rat-Fink, just dumb answers. Your questions are fine- never feel that asking is stupid.

You can "talk" -and I am assuming you want to use voice as a Technican Class ham---- on the following:

10 metre's 28.300 to 28.500 MHz, Sideband only
6 metre's 50.100 to 54 Mhz, any form of phone permitted to any amateur license class
2 metre's 144.100 to 148 MHz, same as 6 metre's

And for everything above 2 metre's you can talk as you please, anywhere. That is said with a caveat, for these bands are subdivided into special areas that may not tolerate free-lance frequency selection-- ie: all the repeater 'channels', etc.

Tech's can use Morse code on several HF bands like 80 metre's, but you need to check the specifics out if you want to go there. 28.0-28.3, 50.0-50.1 and 144.0-144.1 are 'code' sub bands also.

My guess is you are being drawn to 'talking' in the traditional ham radio sense of the word- that is; a station you can sit down at a microphone, twirl a knob and tune in the world. As a Tech that would be 10 metre's. And you are in luck there- the sunspots are returning and that 'band' will be opening world-wide soon, if not sporadically right now. You will have tonne's of stations to talk to everywhere.

I agree with you- the amateur exams get very esoteric with what they want to test you on. I am mentoring a couple of hams for their Extra Class test and I get the

".........what the hell does That have to do with anything I need to know to operate my station ??"

(Smith Charts rate high on that comment's list)

Hang in there Cowboy---think of those exams as fraternity/sorority initiations --- at least that is what I tell these prospects.
When in doubt I tell them to----

"Just memorize the answer"

If this hobby catch's your interest, move on to your General Class license quickly- there is a lot more "talking" available as a General for just a little extra effort.

Lauri :sneaky:

Lauri, it's scary for *me* when I look through the questions that appear in the General Class license manual. It's been long enough since I got my Extra that I remember nothing at all about what was on the test. I remember simply that I passed it (in Massachursetts). Whew!

...................... and you can listen to them on their frequency, and reply on one that you are authorized. The same goes for different license classes (although I don't know how common it is...............

Oh- kay....... this is not serious (?).... at least as far as I know :)
My father has joked about something very similar........... they called it the New Jersey Express way - or something like that.

It was a 6 metre Tech phone response to an 80 Metre Novice CW signal during contests.

My dad says it was once very popular on the east coast.
...............................................I think he was pulling my leg ;).

Lauri

89ab(1)(2).jpg

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
...................... and you can listen to them on their frequency, and reply on one that you are authorized. The same goes for different license classes (although I don't know how common it is...............

Oh- kay....... this is not serious (?).... at least as far as I know :)
My father has joked about something very similar........... they called it the New Jersey Express way - or something like that.

It was a 6 metre Tech phone response to an 80 Metre Novice CW signal during contests.

My dad says it was once very popular on the east coast.
...............................................I think he was pulling my leg ;).

Lauri

View attachment 123505

I always thought it was possible...

Heres a quote from

from a few years ago.

The five Canadians will be transmitting on 630m CW but listening for answering stations on various HF (QSX) frequencies. Last year's one-night event was a great success ... hopefuly the two-night event this year will lead to even more participation by interested amateurs in both Canada and the U.S.

Unlike Canadian hams, American amateurs does not yet have access to 630m as a ham band but ... there will be a large number of U.S. 'experimental' stations (most of them operated by hams with an experimental licence) beaconing and working each other and seeking your 'heard' reports. The Canadian operation will give interested hams the actual opportunity to make a two-way MF to HF CW contact, via the crossband mode as well as provide the Canadians an opportunity to test their 630m systems.

It's the kind of thing that makes me think its Ok... It seems reasonable enough.

Thanks
Joel

"...................... It's been long enough since I got my Extra that I remember nothing at all about what was on the test. I remember simply that I passed it (in Massachursetts). Whew!........... JonD"

Smiles.... and that elicited a tale--

I have held quite a few amateur radio licenses over the years. The most challenging license exam was taken as a teen before the Post Office radio division examiners in the UK.... another story.

My favorite is when I was posted as an 'advisor' to a Latin American country.

My immediate neighbor was the chief of police. I became instant friends of his gracious wife, who quickly learned in my interest in ham radio.
At a dinner party she remarked this to her husband............

"So Lauri" he said "you are a radio hobbyist?"

This lead into an interesting discussion of ham radio and how I was interested in possibly operating a station in my home (the police/military were the licensing authority for radios.)
We ended up 'hobby radio' with--

"It can be arranged. Come to our offices and I will see that its taken care of"

I went to the central police headquarters where Colonel ________ introduced me to an dashing young lieutenant.

"Ah Condesa !....
"Colonel _______ says you wish to have a...... a 'ham radio station?"

An affirmarive answer from me
"And you know about these ......'ham radio's ?"

Another affirmative
.........A thoughtful smile came over his face---

"Condesa, can you tell me what the Morse signal for the letter "A" is ?"

..............and with that I was 'licensed " ;)

(It probably didn't hurt that I was dressed to the "Nines" and spoke fluent Spanish)

I picked out my own callsign...... and to this day I think it could still be valid- for as far as I knew I was never anything more than an entry in a ledger book and the verbal go ahead to start operating.

Lauri
68824a(1)L.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.