• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Spectra Home Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdatkinson

I have a VHF Spectra with six zones. Each zone has multiple channels. Prior to tonight, my home key would take me to Zone 1, Mode 1. This evening, I added a zone at position 1. I then added a mode to that zone. Now when I go into the home button configuration and try and select Zone 1, Mode 1, I get an error when leaving that screen saying that my home mode does not reside in a home zone. I've looking throughout the RSS and I cannot find a place to specify a zone as the home zone. It can't be position based, since the new zone is in position 1.

jim202

Playing with programming zones on a Spectra can be a very testing time for someone that hasn't
done it a number of times before. I always make out a printed list of channels and what zone they
are in as I set up the radio. That way when I go in and play with the channels, I know just where and
what I have.

When you add a zone and new channels, the program has a spot over on the right to ask what
zone the channel will be placed in. if you SCREW UP, you end up with a mess and need to re group.

You play with a tiger by the tail, it will turn and bite your hand off if your not careful. Looks like
this is radio 1 and trainer zero. There is also a place to name the zones in the software. Best
you pay close attention to the details as you go forward. My bet is radio 2 and trainer zero.

Jim

I have a VHF Spectra with six zones. Each zone has multiple channels. Prior to tonight, my home key would take me to Zone 1, Mode 1. This evening, I added a zone at position 1. I then added a mode to that zone. Now when I go into the home button configuration and try and select Zone 1, Mode 1, I get an error when leaving that screen saying that my home mode does not reside in a home zone. I've looking throughout the RSS and I cannot find a place to specify a zone as the home zone. It can't be position based, since the new zone is in position 1.

wdatkinson

I know where to name the zones at. And I have successfully added the new zone, and the new mode to that zone. I've written back to the radio and everything works fine. So this isn't really an issue of adding zones or modes to zone. My issue is that I'm unable to program the home key for the new zone/mode. It works fine if I program it for one of the older zone/mode combinations, however. RSS tells me that the zone is not a home zone, and reverts back.

So when it comes to adding new zones and or modes, radio - 0 and trainer - 1.

I find it hard to believe that adding a single new zone and mode to a radio requires you to completely start over in regards to the programming.

As for planning, I have an excel spreadsheet that has each zone, mode and all pertinent data in it, in an attempt to be as organized as possible.

SCPD

QRT
Go into Radio Wide configuration (F4 change codeplug then F2)
Under zone operation choose the home zone
then you can choose the home mode from that zone
Then you have the home mode that you want.

wdatkinson

Nathan,

Thank you.

For the future benefit of others, the error message I was getting was due to the home mode not being in the home zone. It took Nathan's explanation for me to catch on.

I thought that the mode name that was displayed on the screen was a reference, once I selected the home zone/mode. That's not the case. I was able to change the zone, then select the mode that was in that zone and I'm in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.