• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Spectra Out Of Bounds Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I have a Spectra with the 136-162 bandsplit that I would really like to force a 170mhz channel into (for RX only). If I were able to get ahold of the Lab software would this be achievable?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
On a lot of the older radios (DOS MRSS), if you hold down the SHIFT key while typing in your frequency, it could work. Example - 170.575 would be !&)>%&% . Make sense? Doesn't always work, but in some instances it has.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Thanks! I will give that a try....

Update - Didn't work :(

Using 6.00.05 it just kept telling me that frequency was out of range.

Last edited:

n5ims

You may want to check out this article (Hex-Editing the Spectra RSS for 902-928 MHz Amateur Use) which specifically deals with hexediting the RSS to allow the use of the 900 MHz ham frequencies, but states "While this article is oriented only towards 900 MHz amateur frequencies, the same technique will work on other frequency ranges." You may be able to expand the range(s) using a modification of what was described to do what you desire.

Not that you'd do anything else regardless, since this technique changes the RSS .exe, always make a backup copy prior to doing any changes and only make changes to an isolated copy of the original .exe!!!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
it probably wont work .. The VCO will go a few mhz ..8 is pushing it

You are correct. Using the Lab RSS I was able to bitbang the bandsplit and load in the frequency I wanted. However when the radio rebooted I would immediately get Fail 001 when I turned to that channel. Oh well.... it was worth a shot. Guess I will just have to find another radio with the proper bandsplit in it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I was kind of thinking that too. I will take it over to the Classifieds section and see if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.