• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Spectra scan problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello all,

I have a very interesting spectra scan problem. I had some channels programmed into a 128 channel Spectra.
I added to more, set the scan list to reflect the changes, and wrote it to the radio.
Now it will not scan.

The scan indicator is on but its not scanning.

Any suggestions would be helpful since I'm out of options.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Try this

Hold down the scan button for a sec or two until the radio beeps. You should then be able to cycle through the modes on the radio by using mode button/knob and see which channels the radio thinks it's supposed to scan. It's possible you need user adjustable scanlists enabled, to check this, but I'm not sure. See if the modes you wanted to add look, in fact added to the scanlist.

SCPD

QRT
Well I tried it. it showed me the channels that its supposed to be scanning and they match what I programmed into the software.
but it still wont scan. I'll deal with it more tomorrow when I'm not so frustrated with it.

RKG

Unless programmed for off-hook scan, the radio won't enter scan mode unless it detects that the mike is hung up in the hang up box (or a mike clip grounded back to the radio chassis ground).

SCPD

QRT
Unless programmed for off-hook scan, the radio won't enter scan mode unless it detects that the mike is hung up in the hang up box (or a mike clip grounded back to the radio chassis ground).

Yup, tried that too and still nothing. looks like this one might go to the recycle pile.

jim202

Yup, tried that too and still nothing. looks like this one might go to the recycle pile.

Going to throw away a good radio just because you can't get the scan to work? Have you tried another mic on it? You could have a broken wire in the mic or in the control cable / head. I would pull out the volt meter and diagrams and spend just a tad bit of time looking around.

Jim

SCPD

QRT
Have the caps been replaced?

From what Ive been reading elsewhere, i think that may have something to do with it. this may be what i try next.

Going to throw away a good radio just because you can't get the scan to work? Have you tried another mic on it? You could have a broken wire in the mic or in the control cable / head. I would pull out the volt meter and diagrams and spend just a tad bit of time looking around.

Jim

I wish i had another mic to try on it. however i will drag out the service manual and check voltages on both the radio and the microphone and see if i cant find something.

of course I'll have to get rid of it or convert it to ham in the next couple of months or so. so I may be finding me a new radio for my desk.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
The suspect electrolytic capacitors will leak and they will cause problems, unfortunately it happens to every Spectra out there.

SCPD

QRT
Well, I determined that the microphone is good and the "Scan Off HUB" (which is the closest thing I can find to scan off hook) is set to the off. So if I read the help right then it means that it should scan without the mic being on hook.

Thought it might have something to do with the channels I have programmed as priority, but I took those off and no change.

I guess the next thing is to open it up and look to see if the caps are leaking or have leaked.

if not, then I don't know what to do.

I am completely out of ideas.

RKG

I think "Scan off HUB" should set to "On" or "Active." (Been a long time since I programmed a Spectra.)

SCPD

QRT
This is what the help says about scan off HUB

"Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to Enable or Disable SCAN when the microphone is taken off the hang-up-box (HUB)

If Scan Off HUB is enabled, the radio will continue scanning when the microphone is removed from the HUB. Pressing the microphone PTT will transmit on the selected mode unless Talkback Scan is enabled.

If Scan Off HUB is disabled, the radio will stop scanning when the microphone is removed from the HUB. pressing the microphone PTT will transmit on the Tx Revert Mode. Valid selections for TX Revert Mode are Selected, Active, and Home (If the home mode is conventional). The radio will transmit and receive on the Tx Revert Mode until the microphone is returned to the HUB or Scan is turned off."

That's what the help says.
My interpretation of it is that if its ENABLED, then the radio will continue to scan while off hook.

Please feel free to correct me if my interpretation isn't correct.

SCPD

QRT
Right, set it as RKG suggested, not as you say you set it in post #12.

looks like i made a mistake in post 12.

It was enabled.
I disabled it with no result.
so I re-enabled it.
and again, no result.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.