• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Spectra Transmit Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf7dyf

Hello all,

I just bought a Spectra 9000 with the A9 Remote Head and had programmed at a Motorola shop for HAM use on 2m. I also had some Pub Safety channels programmed in receive only.

The trouble is that the radio acts like all of the channels are in receive only mode and even the HAM frequencies get me the flat audible tone when I key up to PTT. In other words, I cannot transmit...

Is there a setting that I am missing? -Or is there something perhaps in the programming that the tech did that kept everything in receive only mode? - There is no "Busy" lamp lit on the A9 Head and I have the squelch pretty much fully open.

Help!

Thanks, S

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What's a Spectra 9000?

Do you mean a Syntor X9000?

Without looking at the actual codeplug, it's unlikely we're going to be able to diagnose what's wrong from here. But a few things to watch for...

If it's actually a Spectra, and not a Syntor X9000, then it could be suffering from leaky capacitors. That causes all manor of problems with Spectras. The Spectras can also be programmed to honk if an attempt is made to transmit on modes that have no transmit frequency associated with them. Does it receive at all?

Batwings21

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A spectra 9000 is a spectra with a A9 head on it. Check your orange and green wires, both of those need to go to ignition one of them will make the radio power up, the second controls whether you can tx.

cmdrwill

The Green and Orange wires, from the control head end of the control cable.
The Green one goes to the battery and should have a 2 amp fuse. This, plus the on - off switch, controls the Spectra receiver.
The orange lead is the IGN control and when powered allows transmit. The orange lead should be fused with a 1 amp fuse.

kf7dyf

Thank you!

Thanks everyone.... I did run the green lead to my 12 volt power source, but the orange I left off.

Will it work if I splice the orange ignition lead right in to the same line that I have my green lead powered in to so long as I have the proper fuse? - I am asking because I don't intend to have it wired in to the ignition key.

Also, I can't seem to get the unit to scan. When I press Scan, it does give me a "Select" for priority or non-priority but nothing seems to happen. I asked for my frequencies to be programmed in to "groups" but it looks like they just loaded everything together as the "mode" rocker moves me through all 116 channels.

I really don't care if this radio does anything but transmits and received on my HAM frequencies and it's nice to be able to monitor public safety, but it would be nice if it did Scan.

If I can get it to transmit, I'll be in love with this radio. I especially like the loud speaker! Beats any rig I have had!-

mancow

Database Admin
It's the name for the suite of products, they were referred to as the systems 9000.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It's the name for the suite of products, they were referred to as the systems 9000.

Ok, thanks. Didn't know that applied to the Spectra, I just thought it was a Syntor designation.

kb0uxv

Thanks everyone.... I did run the green lead to my 12 volt power source, but the orange I left off.

Will it work if I splice the orange ignition lead right in to the same line that I have my green lead powered in to so long as I have the proper fuse? - I am asking because I don't intend to have it wired in to the ignition key.

Also, I can't seem to get the unit to scan. When I press Scan, it does give me a "Select" for priority or non-priority but nothing seems to happen. I asked for my frequencies to be programmed in to "groups" but it looks like they just loaded everything together as the "mode" rocker moves me through all 116 channels.

I really don't care if this radio does anything but transmits and received on my HAM frequencies and it's nice to be able to monitor public safety, but it would be nice if it did Scan.

If I can get it to transmit, I'll be in love with this radio. I especially like the loud speaker! Beats any rig I have had!-

Regarding scan - the radio may be set to have Scan auto shut off when the mic is off the hook. Try touching the metal clip on the mic to ground and see if scan works. Not sure if you know, but to set the scan list press and hold scan. The lights blinks will show what setting you are on, if I remember right solid red is priority 1, blinking red priority 2, and amber non-priority.

If the orange wire does not fix the transmit then maybe the shop set up the TX freqs as "BLANK" on all channels, not just the public safety ones?

kf7dyf

Mostly working

Ok, I am able to transmit! - Now i'll try grounding the hang up clip and see if that gets Scan working.

One more question. The A9 head has a numeric keypad. The "phone" button does not seem to activate DTMF. Do I have to have a DTMF mic to use DTMF or will the Keypad on the remote head work? - If so how to activate? I'd really like to be able to access Autopatches.

Thanks in advance!

cmdrwill

The DTMF is part of the radio using the keypad on the control head. The function has to be enabled for each channel or Mode in the RSS..

The DTMF microphone has a tone generator in it and is the same on the A7 Maratrac, Syntor 9000, and the Spectra.

Status
Not open for further replies.