• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Spectra Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdatkinson

I just picked up a Spectra mid-power (VHF) with an A7 control head from ebay. After receiving the unit, and hooking it up on my bench, I noticed some odd behavior:

After the unit is powered up, will turn itself off as if power has been cut or a lack of power. My bench power supply shows 13.8v and .35a when this happens. I get no indication that the radio is drawing too much power for my power supply.

All I have hooked up are the red/black lines from the power and the control head. I have the speaker plugged into the line coming out of the control head.

When I can get the unit to come on and stay on, it seems to turn off as soon as I plug in my programming cable (DB15 plug in the rear). If I power it off completely, plug in the programming cable I can never get it to turn back on. I've checked for loose wires, connected my power supply directly to the radio, skipping the power cable in case its bad. My programming cable has the red ignition sense wire on it, but it doesn't matter if I connect it to 12v or not.

The unit will power back on and go back through its self-check. There are no diagnostic codes displayed and when its on, I can switch through the modes and program scan lists, etc. The radio was removed in a working condition and I have no doubt that the radio worked fine.

RKG

I can't diagnose the first problem long distance, but are you aware that when programming a mid-power Spectra via the rear-of-the-control-head DB15 jack, you have to apply B+ to Pin 5 of the plug that goes into this jack?

wdatkinson

I can't diagnose the first problem long distance, but are you aware that when programming a mid-power Spectra via the rear-of-the-control-head DB15 jack, you have to apply B+ to Pin 5 of the plug that goes into this jack?

B+ = +12vDC?

I was aware that this was required, as the programming cable had a fused red wired attached and the documentation mentioned that I would need to apply voltage to it while programming. I can ohm it out and confirm that it is connected to pin 5 of the DB15.

Status
Not open for further replies.