• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Spectra VHF, UHF 110W NEED HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwicks

Greetings all, this is my first post. Lots of good information here! I will be as short as poss...

I came accross a deal for a T83FWA7HA9AK VHF 110W with Systems 9000 HCN1073A head and also and extra T84FWA7HA9AK UHF 110W with no head. When I power the VHF up, it goes through systems check ok, then says STATEWIDE 1 (must have been government usage) only buttons that do anything are VOL up and down, SCAN, and MONITER on off. If I key up, nothing happens, no TX light, beeps, nothing. My guess, the radio has been decomissioned and needs to be re-programmed. So I got an old 386 16MHZ with DOS 6 computer, RSS Spectra ver. 6.00.05. I also bought a RIBLESS cable on ebay from a guy claiming this cable does the job of RIB and not battery..? Motorola Spectra High-Power (25-pin) Programming Cable - eBay (item 350268470876 end time Jan-20-10 08:07:27 PST)

I was weary of this cable, but feedback of others who bought this cable said it worked great. So the cable comes in the mail. This is how I hooked it up. The trunk unit only has a 25 pin connector where the head unit attaches, so I attach the RIBLESS cable here, then I attach the 9 pin to my computers Serial port. Simple. I apply 12V to the trunk unit, then execute the RSS. Try to pull the codeplug...RSS says SERIAL PORT POWER FAILURE, then SERIAL PORT COMMUNICATIONS ERROR, CHECK CABLES. So I went into RSS settings and try COM 1 just for the heck...even though the cable is hooked to my COM 2 port. COM 1 says on RSS SERIAL BUS LINE BLOCKED/BUSY. I guess no suprise since I have COM 1 disabled in CMOS. In short, no matter what I try to do, I cant get anything remotely to work in RSS. I get the same message even with no cable hooked to the COM 2 port. Any suggestions? Is it this crazy cable I bought? It was also thinking I could have a problem with my COM 2 port on my computer...i don't know.

Oh and by the way... when I hook the A9 head that works with the VHF up to the UHF and power that radio up, it says systems check, then MODE 0 and VOL up and DOWN work but thats it. If I press the #4 key, the head unit will reset. All other keys do nothing? Is this because the UHF is probably not programmed to that head?

Thanks a bunch
Steve

RKG

High power Spectra decks should have two DB-25 connectors. The one near the power connector is for the remoting cable. The one inside the handle is for programming.

stwicks

High power Spectra decks should have two DB-25 connectors. The one near the power connector is for the remoting cable. The one inside the handle is for programming.

The VHF radio has 2 db-25s but the UHF only has 1. The spot on the UHF one inside the handle has a factory plastic cover where it looks like a db-25 COULD go. Either way, I tried both on the VHF radio and nothing. Still get SERIAL BUS ERROR: POWER FAILURE.

stwicks

Update, I didnt realize that the UHF DB-25 inside the handle was just a cover installed, I unscrewed the screws and there is a DB-25 in there.

Thanks

RKG

Correct. And the control head needs to be connected to the deck in order to read or write to the radio.

twowaytekk

The Spectra needs the proper amperage, even to program. Make sure you have it hooked up to a good power supply before you try to read the radio. Also many of those ribless cables that were designed to replace the ribs are junk. I would get the real thing and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.