Spectrum Speed Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
My wife and I are the only two in our household. We get all of our TV content through streaming providers like Hulu, Netflix, ESPN+, and Disney+. My wife usually only streams content in 720/1080 HD. I occasionally stream a sporting event in 4K. We are almost always streaming different programs at the same time. I sometimes watch TV while also playing World of Warcraft. I also have my Broadcastify feed up 24/7. Would Spectrum's 100 Mbps speed be enough for our needs? The 400 Mbps is $20 more per month.

Stupidfatkid

You should be fine with a 100 Mbps connection. Netflix recommends the following:
  • 25 Mbps for streaming 4K video
  • 5 Mbps for streaming 1080 video
I'm not familiar with WOW, but the Google says it uses less than 100 Kbps, which is nothing if you're on a broadband connection. Same with your Broadcastify feed, it should be under 100 Kbps. Adding all that up you're still looking at under 50 Mbps. Keep in mind though, having a low latency connection (i.e. quick ping times) is just as important as bandwidth. Unfortunately latency is something you can't really test until you get the connection. This link explains the difference between the two pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.