SpectrumForce Desk Mount for Four Base Scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Sorry no pictures yet, but working on a different setup for my home shack and have a question. In an effort to reduce antenna, speaker and power cable clutter I've decided to consolidate my four scanners into a SpectrumForce 4-Scanner Desk Mount (also available for 2 & 3 scanners). For those of you who have, how do the internal speakers sound when mounted in this mount? I see that there appears to be enough space between them to allow the sound to disperse. All four scanners are 1-DIN size, no 1-1/2 DIN SDS200's.

Thanks!

SpectrumForce Desk Mount for Four Base Scanners available at Scanner Master:

N1NCZ

I agree-I have a few of them, the one which has my 2 SDS-200 and 2 536HPs in it I have an external speaker on the top of it.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple of them also. No problem hearing speakers. I have 4 1-Din size in each. I use an 8 port Stridsberg multicoupler to share outside antenna.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have a couple of them also. No problem hearing speakers. I have 4 1-Din size in each. I use an 8 port Stridsberg multicoupler to share outside antenna.

I'm considering the Stridsberg coupler. I was leaning toward a 2-port model as I only want to share a DPD MilTenna Omni VHF/UHF antenna with two radios. But the price difference is so little I'm going to get the 4-port. Do you guys put 50 ohm terminators on the unused ports or is it unnecessary? My other two radios will have their own antennas.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I also Daisy Chain a 4 port multicoupler off my 8 port to run extra radios in my bedroom.

That's great that you can do that without too much loss. It must be the preamp. Speaking of the preamp does it have a tendency to overload the radios if you have an adequate signal to begin with? Or does the attenuator handle it if needed?

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Never had a problem with overload. Works great with a discone on 25' mast. The built in gain seems to balance out any loss.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The preamp in the Stridsberg will cover the connector loss and not much more so overload is not really an issue in most instances. If you are right on the cusp of overload already the little extra boost provided by the multicoupler could push you over the edge but a little attenuation should overcome that.

radio3353

I'm considering the Stridsberg coupler. I was leaning toward a 2-port model as I only want to share a DPD MilTenna Omni VHF/UHF antenna with two radios. But the price difference is so little I'm going to get the 4-port. Do you guys put 50 ohm terminators on the unused ports or is it unnecessary? My other two radios will have their own antennas.

Go with the 4-port to allow for future expansion. Better to pay the slight premium now than to have to buy another unit tomorrow. I always use terminators on unused ports as a matter of good practice.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Call me cheap but I took the measurements of one and crafted one out of wood with peg board for the sides. The holes in the peg board allow for some flexibility in where to mount the scanners/radios. Flat black paint and it looks fine. These metal ones from SpectrumForce are awesome but I was being cheap and didn't want to pay the price. Plus I had the other stuff lying around...

N9JIG

Sheriff
I don't blame you, I would probably do the same thing if I had to actually pay for the one I have. :)

I am trying to see if we can get the next batch made to have more holes on the side to allow more flexibility for different radios like the SDS200. There are a bunch in stock right now so it would be a while before a new batch is made but I don't think a few extra holes spread evenly in the row is going to jack up the production cost much.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The Stridsberg MCA204M arrived Tuesday and the desk mount arrived yesterday. I have the scanners mounted, a BCD536HP in the top position, then two BCD996P2's below it and a BCT15T on the bottom. I'm still thinking where I'm going mount the multicoupler and I need to find a 4-port terminal block for the 12V as they're being fed via a Astron RS-12M power supply. I love the viewing height and angle. I also find viewing the displays and manipulating the controls is much better when stacked vertically rather than side by side or a combination of both. As you guys mention speaker sound is great, no longer a need for external speakers! It's a much cleaner more compact setup than what I had been using.

I'll get a couple pictures up as soon as I'm done.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I saw some pictures of guys who took a scanner bracket and mounted it to the rear of the desk stand and mounted the multicoupler to it. I did the same and it worked great.

One guy mounted the multicoupler with the input connector facing up and used a BNC antenna connected directly to it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I saw some pictures of guys who took a scanner bracket and mounted it to the rear of the desk stand and mounted the multicoupler to it. I did the same and it worked great.

One guy mounted the multicoupler with the input connector facing up and used a BNC antenna connected directly to it.

Yes I saw both of those, nice job!

N9JIG

Sheriff
I took the havis mount out of my old truck and used it inside

I like that!

I thought of doing something like that once but the only mount I could dig up was angled on the ends and wouldn't stand straight. I was going to make my own cabinet but knew my metalworking and carpentry skills were sorely lacking so ended up with a cabinet.

xantegh

The Stridsberg MCA204M arrived Tuesday and the desk mount arrived yesterday. I have the scanners mounted, a BCD536HP in the top position, then two BCD996P2's below it and a BCT15T on the bottom. I'm still thinking where I'm going mount the multicoupler and I need to find a 4-port terminal block for the 12V as they're being fed via a Astron RS-12M power supply. I love the viewing height and angle. I also find viewing the displays and manipulating the controls is much better when stacked vertically rather than side by side or a combination of both. As you guys mention speaker sound is great, no longer a need for external speakers! It's a much cleaner more compact setup than what I had been using.

I'll get a couple pictures up as soon as I'm done.

Thats's the same problem i'm facing right now. I don't want to consolidate only the scanners but as well all the cabling ( USB cables , audio out, power as well as the multi-coupler and the USB hub that feeds the management port and has the USB audio card) and which the desktop mount wouldn't help in this case. i'm considering instead a shallow 6 or 8U Gator case.

your feedback is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.