Speed up Icom R3 Memory Scan rate by 10% to 25%

Status
Not open for further replies.

compuscan

The Icom IC-R3 Wide band Receiver has four software packages available for it that I know of.

1) Icom CS-R3 (I believe it was original made for Icom by RT Systems but the don't offer their own version) If enough people ask, they (RT Systems) might just add this model to their line of software.

2) ARC3 software for Icom R3 (Offers several advanced features and includes the 8.33 KHz airband frequency steps)

3) Icom clone utility v1.00 (I have not tried this software but some say it does work for the Icom R2 and R3 radios. Please check into this before trying it.)

4) tk3 - Experimental Software for the Icom IC-R3 Receiver by Bob Parnass (Offers extended frequency range including video coverage not original provided by Icom)

The ARC3 software by BuTel for the Icom R3 offers a sort feature that sorts frequency memories in ascending order. This causes the receiver to scan a little faster because the PLL don't have to lock wide variations in frequency which takes a little longer to do. The closer the frequencies between memories, the faster it locks. That's also why the receiver searches faster than it scans memories.

In my opinion, the ARC3 software is the best one out there for this radio because it has so many extra features including the 8.33 KHz airband step. It hasn't been updated in a while and only supports Windows 98 / 2000 / XP. I wish they would at least update the software to run on Windows 10 even if they didn't add any extra features or the radio reference import database option But that would be very cool. If you want to buy software for this radio, this is the one I would recommend but also ask if they will update to run on Windows 10.

The Original Icom CS-R3 software is also good and only supports Windows 98 / 2000 / XP.

The tk3 offers extended frequency coverage BUT is more of a beta software so it's not as polished as the other two.

I only list the ICOM clone utility v1.00 because I heard it works as a basic clone copy and restore software that works with many Icom radios with the clone feature but try at your own risk. If you have used this software, I would like to hear from anyone that could comment on it with this radio.

When using any software, always make a backup of the radio's memories, etc by cloning from the radio first and then make changes to the frequencies and settings before saving back to the radio.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Speed Up Icom R3 Memory Scan Rate By 10% To 25%

...In my opinion, the ARC3 software is the best one out there for this radio because it has so many extra features including the 8.33 KHz airband step. It hasn't been updated in a while and only supports Windows 98 / 2000 / XP. I wish they would at least update the software to run on Windows 10 even if they didn't add any extra features or the radio reference import database option But that would be very cool. If you want to buy software for this radio, this is the one I would recommend but also ask if they will update to run on Windows 10...

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, have you e-mailed Gommert and asked him to update this to Windows 10? I have bought quite a bit of software from him over the years and I have found him to be very responsive and helpful. It is worth a try.

Ubbe

I agree that Grommet is very responsive the first and second year of a release but after that he needs to
focus on what puts food on the table, making new software. I believe he has a blurb on the webpage saying
he doesn't do old software win10 compatible. Spock said something about "The needs of many....)

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.