Status
Not open for further replies.

edweirdFL

Speedweeks are underway this year in Daytona Beach and here's where posts concerning Daytona International Speedway during this time can be made.

Keep in mind that posts about the race teams and sanctioning bodies that move from venue to venue are directed to the Sports and Recreational Events sub-forum. If all you care about is car to pit freqs for your favorite driver, that's the place to look, and ask.
For instance the recent Rolex event is in this thread.
When there's updates on NASCAR driver freqs for 2021 there will be a thread created over there for them.

The racetrack has a lot of frequencies licensed under WYU665 that may see day to day operation while it's open for tours or private events, or only be active during larger public events. The months containing the Speedweeks events are the best time to scan them.

Those that were verified and submitted to the RR database are a good place to start. Here are some updates:

451.775 D172 is probably being used for some maintenance users at the track
452.625 D731 was submitted as being used by track ops. I see 452.675 listed so there may have been a mistype in the submission or entry.
452.800 D245 was heard used by the Guest Services Booth
461.700 D423 was heard in use by the Trams Currently this shows D023 in the database.

There has been a trunked DMR system listed in the RR db since 2016 on 452.850 If anyone local or visiting can confirm that it's still in use and perhaps add some more confirmed TGIDs that would be great. I have not been able to confirm this for over a year although I think I should be able to detect if there was a signal.

A fairly new development called One Daytona is directly across from the track and uses a DMR system that's also in the database here. The FCC license is under Volusia Point Properties.

The Volusia County EDACS system used for public safety has two simulcast sites that normally carry all of the traffic for the East and West sides of the county. There's a third site located in Daytona Beach labeled as Site 020 (14) Daytona Beach in the database here on RR. TGIDs are the same and you will hear some of them patched over from the East + West configuration during the events and used by units on site. DBPD Sector 4 and DBPD Speedway have been heard active so far this year at the track.

edweirdFL

The world-renowned U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds will perform the flyover for the 63rd annual DAYTONA 500 on Sunday, Feb. 14, 2021 at Daytona International Speedway per this release. I would plan on programming a "guess list" from last year's spots and any reports from the Super Bowl this year and be ready for an arrival a couple of days prior. Their routine suggests some orientation and media day flights before Sunday's fly over will happen, weather permitting.

PBGVOLFF

Premium Subscriber
Not repeating what was posted. Just know that NASCAR gets their radios from racing electronics and they are issued each weekend at whatever track they are at.

edweirdFL

Keep in mind that posts about the race teams and sanctioning bodies that move from venue to venue are directed to the Sports and Recreational Events sub-forum.
This Wiki entry lists what I think you are talking about, which moves around based on the event schedule. Down in the NASCAR Officials section in particular.

This thread is specifically for the DIS site specific stuff. There is a trunked DMR system in the db that is supposed to be a fixed installation here in Daytona Beach, as well as a number of conventional repeaters, bases, and mobiles that aren't part of the travelling show.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
this thread has been stickied to the top until the conclusion of SpeedWeeks.

I plan to be up there for the Duels on 11 Feb.

doug

edweirdFL

During the Clash tonight there was racetrack operations traffic on the frequencies in the RRDB under DIS conventional labeled as NASCAR channels 1, 2, 11, and Security. Also noted on those others that I listed above as updates.

New activity heard on other frequencies on the WYU665 license were 451.875 D411 and 451.900 D445

No signals seen on the DIS DMR freq nor the SLERS EDACS or SLERS P25 temporary site freqs. I didn't see activity on the Daytona Beach Volusia County TRS site used sometimes for events, nor on any mutual aid freqs. In past years this is usually only on the day of the Daytona 500 and not the races before.

edweirdFL

I caught Thunderbird 8 on 235.250 a couple times yesterday. Not sure if that was arrival into town and/or up flying a driver or reporter for media day activities.

batdude

Unfortunately, I didn't have my monitoring setup working quite right until Duel #2. Note that there are more frequencies monitored than drivers who were on the track ..... So hence the "possibly" entries as alternate / Channel 2 comms.

This was the first time that I have ever tried to do logging while at Daytona. YMMV.

This is what I logged last night:

1613150835059.png

batdude

I have combined the listening I did yesterday with the contents of a PM received today and @edweirdFL's post in the Sports Forum into a single PDF.

Enjoy!

doug

Attachments

• nascar2021daytona.pdf
    230.5 KB · Views: 33

TCFATL

Premium Subscriber
I caught Thunderbird 8 on 235.250 a couple times yesterday. Not sure if that was arrival into town and/or up flying a driver or reporter for media day activities.

That is the Thunderbird Control frequency ... is what the flight boss will use to coordinate the flyover on Sunday ... has been used at Daytona for same purpose in prior years as well ...

edweirdFL

Friday afternoon between 4:30 and 5pm Thunderbird 1 235.2500
also voices heard on 141.175 who were on the ground

Also caught more traffic from the aerial camera asset, assumed to be a blimp from Friday night. They left the track area and landed for the night around 10:30pm which was prior to the second rain delayed race. 151.625 C 151.4

edweirdFL

I can confirm it was the Goodyear Blimp N1A which was spending nights down at the New Smyrna Beach airport while flying over the track during the day. They used 151.625 C 151.4 to talk to people on the ground at both locations although the amount of radio traffic is light. Nice trail logged on ADSBexchange.

Almost all of the USAF Thunderbirds traffic was copied on 235.250 "Uniform" They were monitoring KDAB departure 125.720 single frequency but I didn't have that in my scan list, and coordinating weather, time hacks, ToT and other stuff with "Boss".
At one point after the fly over was complete, while watching the camera feed from the blimp I saw them all parked across from the KDAB passenger terminal along with the large transport plane that transports their ground support stuff. Not sure if the solos were ever apart from the diamond formation since I wasn't watching the sky or TV but it sounds like they did. I never caught them on their own discrete freq. although I was scanning them from years past.

edweirdFL

Talkgroups heard in use during the Daytona 500 on the county TRS via the Daytona Beach site were
DBPD Sector 3
DBPD Sector 4
DBPD Speedwy
as well as some i calls

Noticed this morning that the SLERS EDACS control channel on 852.425 is gone and not on any of the other STA freqs. Never did catch any traffic or even a trunk group ID (was in search mode) while it was up.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Noticed this morning that the SLERS EDACS control channel on 852.425 is gone and not on any of the other STA freqs. Never did catch any traffic or even a trunk group ID (was in search mode) while it was up.
Did you catch the Temp Site info (as in how many freqs & LCNs for that Freq?

edweirdFL

I just programmed in the 4 freqs from the STA and guessed at the LCNs in that order as a starting point.

Once the control channel came up I sat another radio (AirSpy R2 using SDR#) on one of the other freqs to see if anything ever broke squelch. Nothing seen on the spectrum display or heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.