• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Spirit M TX issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbnv992

Good day all,

Got this Spirit in, and everytime you transmit, it issues a beep, the TX light goes red then the red light just shuts off even though the PTT is still heald. The radio doesn’t shut off, just doesn’t transmit anything.

My guess is the batteries shot but I don’t get why it beeps first before ?
Any ideas on what the issue is ?

Here’s a video of the issue ( ignore the news in the background )

hill

Premium Subscriber
It could be a weak battery, but I don't see any antenna on it. It's bad to to transmit without one and will likely damage the radio, if you haven't already done so.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
1. Don't transmit without an antenna attached. It's not going to immediately kill your radio, but it's poor practice.
2. Looks like the battery is shot. When you transmit, it draws more current than when just receiving, so not uncommon for a weak battery to tank when you hit the PTT key.

mbnv992

Gottcha. Thanks guys. Yep I realize, amateur move to TX with no antenna and I definitely don’t do that often at all. I got these radios in and they happened to come with antennas that were completely fried so I just tossed them. When I get back to my place I will put some fresh antennas on them. The twin to this one also was experienceing the same transmit issues as well.
I’m going to order two new batteries for them and see if that makes a difference.
Got both these radios plus two rapid chargers for $25 shipped so I can’t complain.
The twin to this I’m pretty sure has a shot internal speaker. The audio that comes out of it sounds like it’s underwater. As soon as I attach a speaker mic to it - it sounds normal.
I don’t even know if M has the parts to fix the speaker for a 20 year old radio hahaha

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don’t even know if M has the parts to fix the speaker for a 20 year old radio hahaha

Probably not, but there's a ton of these on the used market. You've got a pretty much endless supply of spare parts from eBay.

Before you buy parts, take the one with the suspected bad speaker apart. If these were used in an industrial application, it's possible that there's a bunch of metal shavings crapping up around the center of the speaker.

mbnv992

Probably not, but there's a ton of these on the used market. You've got a pretty much endless supply of spare parts from eBay.

Before you buy parts, take the one with the suspected bad speaker apart. If these were used in an industrial application, it's possible that there's a bunch of metal shavings crapping up around the center of the speaker.
I’ll end up taking it apart eventually and see if anything’s blocking the speaker. I have a GP300 laying around that the exact same issue is happening to ( speaker sounds like it’s underwater ) so I just use a mic on it. Would love to get the speakers fixed on them though. I’m not the best at taking these things apart. The gp300 would be a little easier but never took apart one of these Spirits before.

Status
Not open for further replies.