Spitting Beam Thought and Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I got a question of a though that a friend and I were talking about come for a spring project to see what kind of loss or if it would actually work. So I was looking at replacing a couple 800 MHz beams I use for scanning that are about 55 feet up on a 100 foot run of LMR 400 to my shack in the basement. What I was looking at was at the top run a splitter and run small 1-3 foot jumper lines of LMR 400 to two beams instead of one beam. Would this work for 800 scanning or would there be a major loss that wouldn’t pay off? Only food for thought of bringing this up was if I could double up on a beam on one line would or could it payoff or not. Let me know what your experience or information about this would be! Thank you!!!

prcguy

Two identical Yagi antennas spaced the right distance apart and with a good splitter will give you close to 3dB gain improvement and will narrow up the beamwidth some. You would have to use two identical length cables from the splitter to the antennas. This is only if you want to point them in the same direction, if you point them different directions you will have up to 3dB loss.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
thank you for the information my ideal plan was to run a north, east, south, west combination with two on one coacts line and two on the other. I was gonna look at purchasing some high gain beams too

prcguy

A better solution is to get a high gain omni, it will be less expensive and less hassle than trying to point several Yagis in different directions.

thank you for the information my ideal plan was to run a north, east, south, west combination with two on one coacts line and two on the other. I was gonna look at purchasing some high gain beams too

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Spitting Beam Thought and Question

I got a question of a though that a friend and I were talking about come for a spring project to see what kind of loss or if it would actually work.

"Spitting Beam" might contribute to transmitting COVID! :cautious:

:giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.