Split antenna signal to 2 (or more) scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibbles10504

Hi,

I have Discone antenna (link) connected to 50' RG8X coax cable (link) which is plugged into my scanner directly with an SO-239 to BNC adaptor (link). The antenna and current setup works great. I would like to set up another scanner and use the same antenna, so I have 2 (or more) scanners using the signal from the same antenna. Is there a way to split the signal from the antenna? If so, what hardware would I need?

I assume I just need a splitter and the right cables / ends? I'm new to the whole antenna thing (usually just use the antenna's that come with the scanner). So any help / specific product links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Put "multicoupler" in the search window at the top of this page and you find the numerous discussions on this that have appeared here.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Anytime you split your signal with adapters and couplers you will be losing dbs to the scanner, along with the minimal loss per footage of your coax feed line. You can buy simple Y-couplers (CATV or others) and install one and if your local systems are very strong and the transmit towers are close you probably won't even notice the signal loss. If you want to minimize that signal loss to both scanners, you can invest in a Stridsberg 4-port multi-coupler (not sure if they make a 2-way) that is an amplified (requires AC voltage adapter, included) splitter. They are pricey but well-worth the dinero when it comes to maintaining good strong signal from your antenna to the radio. There are other brands, makes and models, but Stridsberg is generally considered the best quality by scanner enthusiasts. You can go cheap and hope for the best, or you can do it right and get r' done.

JD
kf4anc

bibbles10504

Anytime you split your signal with adapters and couplers you will be losing dbs to the scanner, along with the minimal loss per footage of your coax feed line. You can buy simple Y-couplers (CATV or others) and install one and if your local systems are very strong and the transmit towers are close you probably won't even notice the signal loss. If you want to minimize that signal loss to both scanners, you can invest in a Stridsberg 4-port multi-coupler (not sure if they make a 2-way) that is an amplified (requires AC voltage adapter, included) splitter. They are pricey but well-worth the dinero when it comes to maintaining good strong signal from your antenna to the radio. There are other brands, makes and models, but Stridsberg is generally considered the best quality by scanner enthusiasts. You can go cheap and hope for the best, or you can do it right and get r' done.

JD
kf4anc

Thanks... so just to confirm... I need:
(1) 4 Port MCA204M VHF/UHF Receiver Multicoupler - 25 MHz to 1 GHz | Scanner Master
(2) RG58 Jumper Cable, 3', BNC Male to BNC Male | Scanner Master

It looks like they have BNC connections, so my BNC adaptor should already fit to the input side... is that it or am I missing something?

Does this work with low band and high band?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have both the 4-port and the 8-port dividing signal to numerous scanners from a Diamond discone and a directional yagi, and I am about to buy another 4-port for my RV to split signal there. I highly recommend Stridsberg, and have used them for years. I had one blow out on me recently and called them and spoke to a nice old ham guy named John and they just sent me a brand new one. Great customer service, as well.

Ubbe

You could first try a simple $5 T-connector to divide the coax to two. If you have good signals now then that's probably the only thing you'll need.

A problem could be that one scanner could send out a weak signal out its antenna port that the other scanner picks up and stops its scanning. Then you could need that recommended $10 CATV splitter that often use F connectors so you will need adaptors or pigtails to use it.

Start cheap with a $10-$20 solution and use the $200 one as a last resort.

/Ubbe

questnz

Yes looks good except the price, thank you, it will hurt the pocket
AAS-300 Antennasplitter AAS-30 259.00 €

I would follow Ubbe's advice on this :

A problem could be that one scanner could send out a weak signal out its antenna port that the other scanner picks up and stops its scanning. Then you could need that recommended $10 CATV splitter that often use F connectors so you will need adaptors or pigtails to use it.
Start cheap with a $10-$20 solution and use the $200 one as a last resort.

My setup, Omni-X antenna feed SDRPlay RSP1A, RTL SDR v3, TRX-1, bunch of Uniden handheld scanners on and off,
Amp cost about US$50 , up to 10 dB Gain per split (adjustable) http://www.antsig.com/wp-content/files/AP864_INST.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_9665a.jpg
    IMG_9665a.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.