BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Splitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

robman50

I have 3 devices and 1 antenna line.What should I do?
All of my splitters say 5Mhz to 1Ghz, will that affect the scanner up at the higher frequencies? Like around the 25 cm band?
Normally this was never an issue because I have only used a splitter for TV and FM radio.

rbm

If you have those splitters on hand, try them.
They don't roll off all that fast and may serve your needs.

If you don't like how they perform, try some of those like in the image below. (2-2150 MHz)

I use them to feed up to 32 radios per antenna and they work just fine.
You can find various models to cover that range on ebay.

Rich

rbm

But .... keep this in mind.......

You may also want to add some amplification, or a multicoupler with some gain, if you don't have any strong signals near your location.

'Ball park' losses for splitters:

A 2-way splitter has around 4 dB loss
A 3-way splitter has around 7-8 dB loss
A 4-way splitter has around 9-11 dB loss
An 8-way splitter has around 13.5 dB loss

Those numbers vary widely depending on manufacturer so you have to check the specs.

Rich

Last edited:

wtp

another option

split the wire with a two way splitter, one goes to the radio with the lower signal and then split the other again.
that way the signal is only half for the lower but it is better than one third.

I use a standard CATV splitter,3.5DB loss..I make up for it by adding a GRE Super Amp on the input side.
Works good,Addin g before the split takes a lil of the punch off the amped signal. before it hits the radios.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've never had much luck with splitters. Noticed an obvious difference in signal loss.

They make things called "multi-couplers" so that one antenna can be used on multiple scanners. However, they are costly and sometimes it is just as cheap to use more antennas.

SCPD

QRT
splitters

I used splitters in my shack and theres 3 radios,the signal is decent enough coming out of a comet gp-15 to overcome the losses I used a Time Warner Splitter with no issues.They have CATV amps that have multiple outputs like a splitter if you are a perfectionist.

robman50

All of my splitters came from Cogeco. ;)
So FM is analog, OTA TV and the BDC996XT are digital? So then the FM receiver should have the weakest signal?

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
split the wire with a two way splitter, one goes to the radio with the lower signal and then split the other again.
that way the signal is only half for the lower but it is better than one third.

You need to recheck your math there. A 3-way splitter delivers 1/3 of the signal to each radio, minus insertion losses. What you're describing will have double the insertion loss, and the radios downstream of the second splitter will receive 1/4 of the original signal. Half of a half is a quarter.

wtp

one signal

i was just trying to say that if he splits it first with a two way he will have one output the handles the lower signal on is only split in two and then the other side is split for two other radios.
that should get him a higher signal than from a three way splitter.

SCPD

QRT
how about

how about one of these,amazon sells em Then you'll be +15 db a catv drop amp!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 330

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
i was just trying to say that if he splits it first with a two way he will have one output the handles the lower signal on is only split in two and then the other side is split for two other radios.

The outputs of the first splitter will be 50% of the original signal, minus insertion loss. One of those goes to the second splitter. The outputs of the second splitter will be 25% of the original signal, minus double insertion loss.

So you end up with one output that is slightly better than a 3-way splitter, and 2 outputs that are considerably worse. The total output is less than a 3-way because you have double insertion loss on the outputs of the second splitter.

It's a stupid way to operate, and not something that should be recommended.

rbm

That works quite well for me where I want to 'favor' one scanner over others.

I bought a lot of these and they work well for me.

Rich

3-way splitter with unequal outputs:
You can find them here: http://www.3starinc.com/pct_ngnii-3s_3-way_horizontal_splitter_5-1000_mhz.html
or on ebay

rbm

You do pay a slight penalty with the unbalanced splitters, but in some cases, it's worth it.

I've attached a chart that shows the balanced vs unbalanced port losses below.
Full specs. are here: http://www.3starinc.com/manuals/NGN-Drop-Passives.pdf

In my case, I use the lower loss output for simplex frequencies. (Tactical, FRS, distant signals, etc)

Some of the repeaters I could receive just fine using a 'wet noodle' so the additional loss there is a 'nit'.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.