Splitting an even load

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocoder

When spliting an antenna signal into 2, should the 2 new tap coax be of equal length? Rx only
To offer a balanced impedence load or loading effect?
I believe i read that somewhere back in college.

Thanks
73, john

K4EET

Chaplain
vocoder,

Here is a nice discussion on using a 50 ohm splitter which is the ideal way to do that:

https://forums.radioreference.com/coax-cable-connectors/225193-splitting-50-ohm-antenna-cable.html

A 50 ohm splitter with BNC connectors will cost you less than $30 (USD) and then the two coax feeds coming off of the secondary side do not need to be equal length.

Do a Google search for "50 ohm splitter +BNC" and you will find the devices.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers! Dave

Ubbe

If you have scanners connected at the end of the coaxes they will have huge differencies in impedances depending of what frequency band they are scanning, so lenght of coax have no meaning. If one scanner are on 800Mhz the filter in that scanner might have many kilo ohm of impedance on 150Mhz that the other scanner migh be monitoring and creates unwanted SWR in the whole coax system. When you have SWR the signal that reflects back might be in phase with the antenna signal and add up to increase the signal level or it might come in opposite phase and cancel out the antenna signal. It depends of the coax lenght which frequencies will increase in signal and which will be attenuated.

If you use some sort of isolation between the coaxes like a CATV splitter, that will have something like 15-30dB isolation, you will have minimal SWR and a more predictable signal level that doesn't fluctuate depending of the frequency.

If you connect two antennas that are at the same distance from the signal source, you would want them to be in phase to add the signals from both antennas and then you have to use the exact same lenght of coax when you connect them together. That's probably the type of phase matching scenario that you're refering to.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.