spokane law enforcement frequencies, how to

Status
Not open for further replies.

hick_man

Premium Subscriber
hi, I recently purchased a digital trunking scanner "uniden bearcat BCD996XT" so I could listen to spokane county law enforcement, fire, etc. and I am new to all of this. I have heard that spokane law enforcent is now encrypted? does this mean one can not listen any longer? how do I know what is encypted and what is not? can anyone recomend any good primers on how to know what you can and can not listen to and how to program my scanner that is easy to understand for a major newbie.
thanks

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I recently purchased a digital trunking scanner "uniden bearcat BCD996XT" ...

Did you buy this new? You may want to consider buying the P2 model instead. If SRECS turns on Phase 2 P25 then your scanner will no longer work on that system.

Also note that Uniden scanners ignore encrypted channels -- so unless you're watching the LCD screen -- you'll never know.

Either way be sure your scanner's firmware is updated to the latest version. You can find the version value under the settings menu.

hick_man

Premium Subscriber
Did you buy this new? You may want to consider buying the P2 model instead. If SRECS turns on Phase 2 P25 then your scanner will no longer work on that system.

Also note that Uniden scanners ignore encrypted channels -- so unless you're watching the LCD screen -- you'll never know.

Either way be sure your scanner's firmware is updated to the latest version. You can find the version value under the settings menu.
thanks devicelab, i bought it used. what scanner would you recommend that is affordable? does it matter that a scanner would ignore the encrypted channels if you cant listen to them anyway or is there a way to listen to them? sorry for all the dumb questions.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
thanks devicelab, i bought it used. what scanner would you recommend that is affordable?

Yes the 325P2 is good for a portable solution. The 996P2 is better for a base/mobile solution -- and looks identical to your 996XT.

Again, with any scanner, just make sure the scanner firmware is up-to-date. A new scanner doesn't insure this either... Programming is going to be a little weird if you've never done it before. Check YouTube for many videos on how to program the scanner via the front panel or computer. FreeSCAN is a free software program that works well with the Uniden scanners.

Does it matter that a scanner would ignore the encrypted channels if you can't listen to them anyway...

This is a matter of personal preference. Another scanner manufacturer has their scanner to either ignore the encryption or to put out a phone busy signal. The downside to ignore is that it's just natural to assume that there's no activity going on -- when in fact, there is...

The encrypted channels are usually the 'fun' channels -- like SWAT, TAC, etc.

Sadly, this feature has been neglected by Uniden for years -- it's not a new thing.

hick_man

Premium Subscriber
Yes the 325P2 is good for a portable solution. The 996P2 is better for a base/mobile solution -- and looks identical to your 996XT.

Again, with any scanner, just make sure the scanner firmware is up-to-date. A new scanner doesn't insure this either... Programming is going to be a little weird if you've never done it before. Check YouTube for many videos on how to program the scanner via the front panel or computer. FreeSCAN is a free software program that works well with the Uniden scanners.

This is a matter of personal preference. Another scanner manufacturer has their scanner to either ignore the encryption or to put out a phone busy signal. The downside to ignore is that it's just natural to assume that there's no activity going on -- when in fact, there is...

The encrypted channels are usually the 'fun' channels -- like SWAT, TAC, etc.

Sadly, this feature has been neglected by Uniden for years -- it's not a new thing.
so is there a way to listen to listen in on the fun channels or is there just no way to listen in?

wagonm

Reviving this old thread...

like OP, i am new to this and also in Spokane. I am interested in listening to Law channels. I gathered that many/most of the fun channels are now encrypted,

So ... a “several hundred dollars” question is: Is it still worth spend money on a 436HP or a SDS100 just for despatch and EMS?

also, i aleady have a Yeasu VX-6 (just for listening), what more can i get from a Uniden Scanner Radio? ( and free scanner app in my phone)

please help this newb to understand ... don’t want to waste money....

thanks!

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
So ... a “several hundred dollars” question is: Is it still worth spend money on a 436HP or a SDS100 just for despatch and EMS?

Option 1: You can spend ~$70 (to buy a USB dongle and DSD+ software) and listen that way...

Option 2: For me personally (and for the money) I'd rather buy a XTS2500/5000 and listen to PD Dispatch. It's easier said than done (if you've never done it before.)

Option 3: Invest in a scanner.

IMHO, a scanner is still a valuable tool to have (depending on your objectives) -- you can always look for good deals on used equipment.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Option 4: Listen to an online stream for free.

When Spokane went digital, I bought my sister a PSR-500. She loves it. While that specific model is no longer made, there are several similar models used and new. I love my PSR-500 but also went the direction of buying an SDS-100. I travel enough that my investment will be of value to me. But everyone's situation is different.

wagonm

update : option 5 — I am getting a SDS100

LOL

LOTS to learn how yo use it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.