Spokane PD/SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs0139

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this question but here goes. I have a BCD436HP and have only done programming by entering zip code. I just updated the data base. It seems any of the agencies using digital, Spokane PD, SO and WSP, as an example the transmissions generally sound like they are underwater and very "choppy"; miss lots of what is said. What am I missing? Hoping someone else in Spokane has the same scanner and can share their experience and give advise?
Thanks for any info
Chris.

SCPD

QRT
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this question but here goes. I have a BCD436HP and have only done programming by entering zip code. I just updated the data base. It seems any of the agencies using digital, Spokane PD, SO and WSP, as an example the transmissions generally sound like they are underwater and very "choppy"; miss lots of what is said. What am I missing? Hoping someone else in Spokane has the same scanner and can share their experience and give advise?
Thanks for any info
Chris.

A couple of obvious questions:

1. Did you update the 436HP firmware to the latest version?
2. What kind of antenna do you have? Just using the stock antenna? Is reception better outside than indoors?
3. What is your location in relation to the area in question?

If you read the bottom portion of this web page, it sounds like your issues, no?

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCD436HP

cs0139

Premium Subscriber
thanks for responding. Yes, I have the latest firmware. I have been using the stock antenna, indoors. I haven't noticed any big difference the few times I have taken it in the car, again using the stock antenna. I live on the lower south hill (if you are from the area). I do have an HP 1 and I bought a Diamond RH 789 antenna for it a couple of years ago. I have just started to test with this. I have the range set at 20 miles and I do pick up Couer d' Alene/Post Falls agencies more clearly then the local ones. I will do some testing with the Diamond antenna to see if that will help.
thanks again
p.s. are you in Spokane?

SCMajorInci

Premium Subscriber
The system has been having trouble, County fire has been pushing back the switch date for awhile now. I would upgrade the antenna.

Last edited:

cs0139

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I bought the RS 800mhz antenna that a number of people recommend on these forums. Early results are showing a definite improvement in reception.
Thanks again for your feedback

mdpirello

I am using a BCD996XT listening to the same channels and only have problems understanding when my scanner stops on the similcast channels. When it stops on the different sites it is clear and no problem listening to the transmissions from the local pd and sheriff. the state comes across clear. i am using a mobile antenna and i get good reception for most of the sites

scaseyjordan

Poor SRECS Reception...

I don't think it's due to the scanners, though. Up until about two weeks ago, I was able to monitor the "Core" (my pet name for the sites that make up the simulcast), Mica Peak, Mt Spokane, and Scoop Mountain sites with a BCD996XT with very little problems, not only mobile, but also at my house. Then something happened. I had heard scuttlebutt that Fancher beacon (part of the simulcast network) had not been actively transmitting until recently. If that is true, then adding the extra simulcast site in the system may have over saturated the Core Simulcast network. This could be leading to the problems recently with scanners getting choppy and having difficulty acquiring control channel. The noise floor and more significant multipath reflections may have increased, bringing decode quality down. Digital communications are highly susceptible to multipath interference and noise floor problems. Simulcast is highly dependent on timing perfection, and an over saturated, reflective simulcast zone might be hard to monitor and use. I also have noticed that the Mica Peak, Mt Spokane, and Scoop Mountain sites, while not as bad, also seemed to have suffered some decode quality degradation, perhaps due to similar noise floor issues due to more RF being transmitted in the areas around them (if that's whats happening). I have been monitoring with two BCD996XT scanners, two separate antennas, two discriminator tapped analog scanners run through software decoding using Unitrunker, and all the results are similar. As of the last two weeks, decode quality is greatly degraded on Core SRECS. It's highly frustrating. I know that if scanners are having problems, it's very likely that actual authorized users are also having similar problems.

It would be very interesting to see what would happen if they turned down about half their simulcast zone radios.

Also, something has changed with the County Fire Main Dispatch. 154.430 sounds like garbage now on analog modulation. I think they have it patched between the digital system and the analog quality has diminished.

Don't blame your scanners quite yet.

cs0139

Premium Subscriber
Thanks but I have to say some of your info "sails"way over my head. I got so frustrated I reset my HP1 yesterday and noticed things were better on both scanners, that is I was hearing some SPD North and south. I believe something must have been going on the day before as I received no SPD.on Tuesday. I appreciate having a local, knowledgable person such as yourself as a resource.
Chris

mdpirello

There is times that they will go to there encrypted channels that we can't listen to. I mainly listen in the evening and have not had any problems as yet. I know that i have heard the main fire dispatch on the 800 instead of 154.430 and there is a delay between the 2 of them. They both sound the same. I am usuing a BC-15XT to moniter all of the fire and other agencies that are not on the P25 system yet. I also use a BCD996XT to moniter all of the P25 channels with out any problems. I also go into each and reprogram both of them at least twice a month to update anything that may have changed. I started off with a HOME PATROL 1 and it it a good scanner but i like to program it through my computer. The HP1 I believe uses the simulcast channels from what i can tell. If i had it to0 buy over again i would have bought a P25 handheld that i could program like my BCD996XT.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for any info
Chris.

Spokane PD and SO use the SREC P-25 radio system now. Fire is on there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.