Spokane Regional Emergency Communications System (SRECS) Trouble With HomePatrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyTele

Premium Subscriber
I'm having a little trouble... I recently got a Uniden HomePartol, updated firmware/database via Sentinel but don't seem to be able to get anything (unencrypted) in the SRECS system. I also have the Extreme Upgrade and used the Discovery tool and don't get any hits for the SRECS system. I'm a longtime "conventional" scanner guy but never really needed to get schooled in trunking until recently. Although everything seems to be correct (system/sites/frequencies) I'm still missing something. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

RBMTS

You don't mention which Home Patrol scanner you have. Also knowing exactly where you are would be a help, but no matter. Check to make sure you have the proper zip code location loaded. Then reduce down your "range" to say 5 miles. This will help put the scanner into your local area and reduce down what it is scanning. Also make sure you have turned on the proper "Service" types for what you want to listen to.

Here is the best test . . . manually create a new "Favorite" in Sentinel. Make it a P25 system. Create only 1 site and enter the main simulcast system frequency of 853.5375. In "Options" set this favorite to "ID Search". Once programmed, select only this favorite to scan (do not scan the full database). See if you start receiving SRECS traffic.

Additionally you can create a new favorite for SRECS using Sentenel by selecting that system and adding it to the favorite you created. The key thing is to make sure you DON'T use the full database initially. This will potentially add a large amount of frequencies and departments causing a delay to the scanner by cycling through them. The immediate goal is getting the scanner to ONLY monitor SRECS for the moment. So again, DON'T select to scan the full database.

DustyTele

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! It's a HomePatrol 1. I had tried both and just for good measure just tried them again in case I missed something. I am on the fringe of the site coverage areas and assume that's likely my biggest issue. I tried other near by zip codes, ranges, and played with the individual site coverage parameters in Sentenel (a YouTuber's suggestion) but still haven't hooked anything. I'm about 3 miles south of the closest site zone (Tekoa). I'm using a VHF/UHF open J pole on but still think I should at least get some weak hits. There's a local guy with a 436HP getting SRECS with a VHF ground plane so I guess I'm really not sure what my problem is. I'm in Spokane alot and will just give it a try the next time I'm there and find out for sure.

Thanks again,

RBMTS

The HP-1's don't play well with P25 Phase 1 Simulcast coverage systems. I have one and it performs poorly on urban systems like SRECS. A yagi antenna pointed at a specific site can sometimes help. Sometimes, less signal is better. Ultimately you might have to consider a different scanner. Look at one of the Uniden SDS scanners. They are outstanding on simulcast systems. Or if you are primarily going to be listening from a home station, and SDR would be able to help.

When you take your drive into downtown Spokane, if it still doesn't work well, that's why. And remember the "less is better" test. Meaning, try using a paperclip as an antenna.

DustyTele

Premium Subscriber
Scanning Spokane proper is really a secondary filler for me and there is a great working online stream. I'm just testing the HP-1's limits for my situation. I'm lucky right now in that the systems I want to listen to in my core scanning area (south and east of Spokane) aren't trunked. Push-come-to-shove I would look to an SDS. Really I mostly value the RR/Sentinel import, editable alpha tagging, and the HP's visual display.

Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.