Springfield Schools new DMR sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxhound

I am retired from SPS and monitored their analog trunked system many years. Bought a TRX-1 to try to monitor the new DMR system. My PC has issue that prevents me from downloading latest data, saying the certificate not valid. I tried to enter the system manually, but havent got far enough on learning curve for the TRX-1. I was wondering if anyone else locally has monitored the SPS DMR site?

dxhound

Live in Springfield city limits but Willard school district, receiving Willard DMR bus channel, so maybe still hope I'll figure out the bigger R12 system eventually. Used the TRX-1 simpler, tune mode to access Willard.

foster_006

As for the programming, I'm not familiar with the Whistler scanners.

But you should be able to listen to Site 1 of the SPS DMR system. The repeater is on top of Hammons Tower. I can usually pick it up in Republic. As for the other sites, you'd have to be within about a mile or so of each site in order to pick up anything. From my experience so far, Site 1 simulcasts all the traffic from the other 4 sites, so you shouldn't miss anything. Again, that's been my experience so far.

foster_006

Live in Springfield city limits but Willard school district, receiving Willard DMR bus channel, so maybe still hope I'll figure out the bigger R12 system eventually. Used the TRX-1 simpler, tune mode to access Willard.
Based on my brief search of programming the TRX-1 for DMR Capacity+ you should just be able to plug the frequencies in any order the manual way as it does not use LCN/LSN. As for actual tracking of talk groups, I am unsure.

So my suggestion would be to just plug in the two frequencies for site 1, make sure ID search mode is on, and have a listen. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in? Hope this helps.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The word on Whistler and DMR is....

Whistlers can't trunktrack a MOTOTRBO system; they never bought the license for it. The best it will do is to decode the DMR - if the system isn't too busy, it should be OK. But if you want real MOTOTRBO truntracking....

Get a Uniden

Mike

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I am retired from SPS and monitored their analog trunked system many years. Bought a TRX-1 to try to monitor the new DMR system. My PC has issue that prevents me from downloading latest data, saying the certificate not valid. I tried to enter the system manually, but havent got far enough on learning curve for the TRX-1. I was wondering if anyone else locally has monitored the SPS DMR site?

What version of Whistler's software are you running for your TRX-1?

If older, you may need to visit the Whistler website directly and download the latest version for the TRX-1.
They made some changes quite a while ago and the Certificate errors was one of the common messages users would see if they were still using an older version of the programming software.

dxhound

Thanks for everyone's help.
I have been programming my own scanners manually for many years but this digital world is nothing like what I'm used to.
I did up grade the EZ Scan software to v3.4 The certificate errors were on my computer already. My modem dropped out for a few hours last week , then since IE and Chrome both claiming outdated certificates and not secure connections, but Firefox works normally.
I am so green at all this digital, I'm sure it's my error.
As to my choice of Whistler, R and L Electronics in Ohio had a very special price on their very last TRX-1.
I am fascinated with DMR audio, I got a Motorola XPR 3500 UHF HT 1st, to try the W0PM 440 MHZ DMR repeater.
Then when I saw R-12 had gone DMR I had to try it.
As to the TRX-1 inability to track the system, I don't think that will be an issue, I have used non tracking analog scanners on R-12 before. There isn't that much traffic usually. They moved the bus traffic to their own frequencies( not DMR), which cut back on the traffic.
I appreciate any help I can get on this, I'm struggling through the leaning curve for this scanner, everything is new to me.
k0ivk

dxhound

Thanks to foster 006, ka3jjz, kruser, I am finally successful in monitoring what I wanted to hear !
Made the mistake of loading the whole selection for Greene county and only today figured how to set up to scan only what I wanted to hear.
Scanner was so busy scanning Springfield/Greene county system and other very active sites I was missing all SPS traffic.
Only problem now is figuring out what talk groups (15 + wildcards) are what, a few tell a specific school rest are just numbered.
It takes longer to teach an old dog a new trick. HIHI
Joe k0ivk

foster_006

Thanks to foster 006, ka3jjz, kruser, I am finally successful in monitoring what I wanted to hear !
Made the mistake of loading the whole selection for Greene county and only today figured how to set up to scan only what I wanted to hear.
Scanner was so busy scanning Springfield/Greene county system and other very active sites I was missing all SPS traffic.
Only problem now is figuring out what talk groups (15 + wildcards) are what, a few tell a specific school rest are just numbered.
It takes longer to teach an old dog a new trick. HIHI
Joe k0ivk
Glad you're able to monitor it now!

I've been trying to identify each talk group.. but sometimes they're not as active. I hope you can help identify them because you might be more familiar with the radio traffic. I was only able to identify Parkview and Kickapoo because they mentioned a street name or cross street in their traffic. I've also used the staff roster on each schools website to help identify the school as well.

dxhound

foster 006: yes I worked at Pershing the whole time I was at SPS, we only had 3 talkgroups on our analog radio we carried, (custodial, maintanence and security), but I had my own little radio shack 200 channel non trunking scanner I used to hear other talkgroups. I see that now Security is listed as being on TG 14512 on Greene Cty/Spfd. system, not sure if that is just for Security to contact SPD/GCSO. Possibly they still have a TG for schools to security and security to security.
I included both Willard DMR bus and SPS fm bus channels in my active scanlist, lots of traffic there and sometimes entertaining.
I know I wouldn't want to drive a school bus now !!
My analog scanners also monitor the 2 Yellow cab channels and some traffic from the railroad shops and several aircraft AM channels, since I'm so close to airport.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
@dxhound _ can you check to see if these are active ground airline freqs - used for baggage and ground ops and they are licensed at the SGf airport but have not been reported:
460.85 Base - American Airlines
461.575 Repeater - American Airlines
463.875 repeater - Delta
461.8375, 463.9125, 464.7625, 464.7875, 464.9125 all Mobile or HTs for Delta
Let me know if you hear these and get the PL/DPL/color code etc - thanks!
w

dxhound

wb0bav Wally, I only have been monitoring the aircraft VHF AM frequencies, I'll load in those UHF and see what I hear.

foster_006

foster 006: yes I worked at Pershing the whole time I was at SPS, we only had 3 talkgroups on our analog radio we carried, (custodial, maintanence and security), but I had my own little radio shack 200 channel non trunking scanner I used to hear other talkgroups. I see that now Security is listed as being on TG 14512 on Greene Cty/Spfd. system, not sure if that is just for Security to contact SPD/GCSO. Possibly they still have a TG for schools to security and security to security.
I included both Willard DMR bus and SPS fm bus channels in my active scanlist, lots of traffic there and sometimes entertaining.
I know I wouldn't want to drive a school bus now !!
My analog scanners also monitor the 2 Yellow cab channels and some traffic from the railroad shops and several aircraft AM channels, since I'm so close to airport.
I'm not really familiar with SPS security other than I believe they are Greene Co Deputies or SPD officers. The SPS police talk group on the Springfield/Greene Co system is actually pretty busy. It makes sense for them to stay on the Mot system rather than be on the DMR system. But it also would not surprise me if they carry around a DMR radio as well. I don't believe I've heard the school resource officers or any type of security on the DMR system.

The SPS bus frequency is also very busy... and sometimes entertaining to listen to.

857.7375 is a frequency licensed to SPS. Any chance you can keep an ear on it? I caught just a blip of traffic on it one day (not recorded) and I haven't been able to hear anything on it since.

Also, I believe talk group 63 is Engineering or Maintenance of some sort for the district. I've heard them respond to multiple schools throughout the district regarding maintenance type issues. I have not submitted it to the DB yet.. just wanted a little more confirmation that it is in fact engineering. Feel free to submit it if you happen to hear something that you can confirm.

dxhound

857.7375 is a frequency licensed to SPS. Any chance you can keep an ear on it? I caught just a blip of traffic on it one day (not recorded) and I haven't been able to hear anything on it since.

Also, I believe talk group 63 is Engineering or Maintenance of some sort for the district. I've heard them respond to multiple schools throughout the district regarding maintenance type issues. I have not submitted it to the DB yet.. just wanted a little more confirmation that it is in fact engineering. Feel free to submit it if you happen to hear something that you can confirm.

857.7375 is bus channel B.
First few days of school they divided the city in 2 sections and used A and B channels for dispatch.
Occasionally, when traffic is heavy, dispatch will request a driver to switch to B.
I haven't heard TG 63 yet. I only discovered yesterday that 5 more talkgroups had been added to the database, since I programmed the system. (43, 44, 57, 60 & 63)
I added those 5 yesterday. I'm hoping they will add more talkgroups, possibly below TG25.
I'm missing lots of the familiar traffic that I remember from Analog days.

foster_006

Dxhound are IDing the UID/RIDs down to the User level ?
I know your question was directed to dxhound.. but I wanted to mention it.. I have not been IDing users on the SPS DMR system as I'm mainly focused on identifying talk groups for that system.

Also, I'll be sending you another list from Zone 4 Moswin in a few weeks as more users come online.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Ok, Also send me any audio files from the SDS 200 as well. The audio files help in Iding the UIDs down to the user level.

Thanks a bunch and 73 for now.

dxhound

I have noticed on the database for Springfield schools DMR there are 5 sites listed in the list.
However below that, in the system frequencies, there are only 4 sites, Hickory Hills site 3 is missing.
Is it possible Hickory Hills is using frequencies I'm not able to monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.