Springs 2X Fatal, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
5/25 Colorado Springs: Approx 10:30am, a 2X fatal m/c T/A at Carefree and Oro Blanco.

O/F EP-800, Online

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
A man and a woman are dead after smashing their motorcycle into an SUV in Colorado Springs on Sunday. 20-Year-old Mitchell Corso and 20-year-old Christian Vanderwege died at the accident scene.

Sunday afternoon, the intersection of North Carefree and Picturesque Circle was closed off for several hours while police investigated the crash.

Both Corso and Vanderwege were not wearing helmets. Firefighters say if they had been, they might be alive right now.

According to police an SUV was traveling South on Picturesque Circle and the motorcycle was heading East on North Carefree. The driver of the SUV said he didn't see the motorcycle coming, but by the time he did, he was already in the middle of the intersection and it was too late.

"It's dangerous," said Jocelyn Kelly, who goes to church in the area.

Both on the motorcycle flew off the bike and officials say they were pronounced dead at the scene.

Police believe the driver of the motorcycle may have been speeding, possibly traveling over 40-miles-per-hour.

"I think the speed limit is atrocious," said Debra Piantino, who lives in the area.

The driver of the SUV was not ticketed.

Many people who live in the area believe the speed limit is too high and they think a four way stop should be put at the intersection of Picturesque Circle and North Carefree because of the steep hill on North Carefree. They say the blind spot makes it difficult for drivers to see what is coming.

"We're saddened that it happened but we're not surprised. It should have happened sooner because this intersection is very dangerous," said Kelly.

Police say the speed limit is fine as long as drivers are obeying the limit. "The speed limit is appropriate for this stretch of the road," said Sgt. Matt Martin, with the Colorado Springs Police Department.

"Across the street to my apartment building, I've almost been hit," said Piantino.

According to the Colorado Department of Transportation, last year 90-people died in motorcycle crashes. Over the past 5-years 402-people have died, many of them were not wearing helmets. CDOT also reports that Denver, El Paso and Adams County have the worst record for motorcycle fatalities.

It's not required by law that motorcyclists wear helmets and one rider says he's better off with-out one. "I can't hear, it hurts my neck and the wind blows the helmet back," said "Zombie", a Colorado Springs Motorcyclist.

However, in this case, firefighters say if Mitchell Corso and Christian Vanderwege, had been wearing head gear, they might have survived the crash and would still be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.