Sprint to dump Nextel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
blinddog50 said:
Nextel is the only profit making part Sprint.
I'm sure that Sprint will slowly pull off customer's from the Nextel network since they'll have Qchat/HPPTT available on their network. The Nextel side will then be used for Public Safety.

garys

Premium Subscriber
blinddog50 said:
Nextel is the only profit making part Sprint.

Losing 25% is a load of cr*p.

Not if you count migrating Nextel users to the Sprint network as losses. We've moved a lot of people off of the Nextel side to the Sprint side.

I wonder what will happen with the rebanding agreement?

Gary

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
We've had Nextel a little over six years. When Sprint bought Nextel, I attempted to switch to Sprint. Four days later Sprint was still unable to get our new phones with our old phone number, working! It turned into such a quagmire I canceled Sprint and sent the phones back for a full refund, and we stayed with Nextel.

Every time I called Sprint I had a person on the other end that I could not understand due to their pathetic attempt at speaking English. They were incapable of answering any questions I had. All they could do is read various scripts at random, hoping to find one that I liked. When I would ask the question again, they would simply reply, "Thank you for calling Sprint! Is there anything else we can do for you today?" :roll:

If Sprint screws up our Nextel we'll be switching to Verizon.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Lately they've been a lot better and certainly seem to be focusing on people's complaints about Customer Service (I've had my share). In the beginning (of the merger) the account systems were 90 degrees from each other but they've since migrated to a new system.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The problem is that the iDEN infrastructure is very old, no longer actively supported by /\/\, and the lease costs at tower sites and T-1 interconnects for a second system is very expensive.

Sprint is looking to cut costs and if they can eventually migrate as many users as they can to the CDMA system and then sell off the core and re-banding it will decrease their operational costs.

jleverin

Sprint's business practices are one reason why they are failing I think. I once owned a Sprint cell phone. First they talk you into these really nice deals with 2 year contracts. They charge way too much for what you get, will charge you 250 per phone for either not paying and they shut you off or if you choose to terminate the contract and have it shut off. I guess most cell phone companies do that as well, I have had an account with Alltell for the last two years now and am fairly pleased with them. My account only cost me 40.00 a month rountinely, as I am not a big cell phone user, just for important stuff or emergencies. My son didn't listen to me and took out a contract with them a few months ago and now HE'S having some of the same problems I had, and is on the hook this month for about 200.00. I for one will never go back to Sprint.

bigray246

Sprint/Nextel

Now what about the re-banding of all public safety to make Nextel work better? Everyone off 866 Mhz.band to make way for Nextel! How much is that costing????

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
bigray246 said:
Now what about the re-banding of all public safety to make Nextel work better? Everyone off 866 Mhz.band to make way for Nextel! How much is that costing????

It's costing a lot! But Sprint/Nextel worked out an agreement with the FCC to pay for it. The effort is not to improve Nextel, but to improve public safety comms. Now if they only had enough money to pay for it...that would be nice.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
GreatLakes said:
It's costing a lot! But Sprint/Nextel worked out an agreement with the FCC to pay for it. The effort is not to improve Nextel, but to improve public safety comms. Now if they only had enough money to pay for it...that would be nice.

Oh, they will pay for it, one way or another. The FCC will make sure of that.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
KS4VT said:
The problem is that the iDEN infrastructure is very old, no longer actively supported by /\/\....
That would be incorrect. Motorola somewhat recently (last year?) released the Quad+2 BR (base radio) which supports operating on either 800 or 900. It's complete new hardware compared to what used to be used (Standard "legacy" single channel radios and band specific Quad BR's). So I'd say Motorola is still actively supporting iDEN. They also have to support their Harmony customers; Harmony uses the same hardware.

troymail

Silent Key
GreatLakes said:
We've had Nextel a little over six years. When Sprint bought Nextel, I attempted to switch to Sprint. Four days later Sprint was still unable to get our new phones with our old phone number, working! It turned into such a quagmire I canceled Sprint and sent the phones back for a full refund, and we stayed with Nextel.

Every time I called Sprint I had a person on the other end that I could not understand due to their pathetic attempt at speaking English. They were incapable of answering any questions I had. All they could do is read various scripts at random, hoping to find one that I liked. When I would ask the question again, they would simply reply, "Thank you for calling Sprint! Is there anything else we can do for you today?" :roll:

I've seen alot of this -- people with Nextel that got conned into switching to a new hybrid phone that is basically moving them to Sprint. Most people I know ended up switching back to Nextel because they lost a feature or capability that Nextel had -- or, like you said- some have even taken that opportunity to leave Sprint/Nextel for Verizon because of the experience of dealing with Sprint. But then again- Verizon? It's still "the phone company"... and the phone company has never really been willing to help unless your situation is "common" and can be scripted.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
wayne_h said:
That would be incorrect. Motorola somewhat recently (last year?) released the Quad+2 BR (base radio) which supports operating on either 800 or 900. It's complete new hardware compared to what used to be used (Standard "legacy" single channel radios and band specific Quad BR's). So I'd say Motorola is still actively supporting iDEN. They also have to support their Harmony customers; Harmony uses the same hardware.

I receive the cancellation notices for /\/\ products and iDEN and Harmony go away within the year.

bigray246

Sprint/Nextel

Does Verizon still support their Push to Talk.? A few years ago they came out with it but I have not heard about it in awhile. Verizon only had one phone that supported Push To Talk but it was horrible the battery only lasted a few hours.

CVPI4Ever

I was told at the Sprint store that Nextel will be dumped and all Nextel customers will be migrated over to Sprint.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:

The last line of this could be the smartest thing you could ever do. I have been with Verizon for several years now after several years with Sprint. Verizon by far is better in ever aspect, from reception (guess that depends on where you are), to customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.